Listed below are the learning outcomes currently used by the Department of English.
Learning Outcomes for the Undergraduate English Major
- Literary coverage
Students will demonstrate familiarity with the major writers, historical periods, and genres of British and American literature, and demonstrate an awareness of the connection between texts and their historical and cultural context.
- Literary analysis
Students will demonstrate the ability to analyze and interpret a text with attention to its genre, formal and rhetorical features, and historical and cultural contexts.
- Theory and critical perspectives
Students will understand the history of critical theory and demonstrate the ability to apply theoretical approaches to texts.
Students will demonstrate knowledge of the grammatical structure of English and recognition of standard and nonstandard varieties.
- Rhetoric, research, and writing
Students will understand the writing process and use their understanding of audience, purpose, form, and other rhetorical concepts to produce rhetorically and stylistically effective writing. Additionally, students will demonstrate the ability to conduct research in the field and effectively incorporate this research into their analysis and writing.
Learning Outcomes for the Graduate English Major
1. Develop an understanding and appreciation of the power and beauty of written expression through the study of representative literary texts from diverse periods, genres, and cultures
2. Practice textual analysis with confidence and skill
3. Develop a multicultural understanding of their own and other cultures, past and present, through the historically contextualized study of language and literature
4. Be aware of the evolving roles of literature, aesthetics, and critical theory
5. Be able to develop and support original perspectives with precision, express themselves effectively and with clarity, and engage in constructive dialog with an awareness of multiple perspectives
6. Be able to conduct research in the field
7. Develop solid reading, writing, and critical thinking skills