DocuSign is a secure electronic signature and digital transaction management platform that lets users sign, send, and manage legally binding documents anytime, anywhere, and on any internet-enabled device. DocuSign enables fully digital and automated workflows which save money, increase efficiency, and improve user experience.
See how DocuSign works.
- Sign: Quickly access and sign documents that require your signature.
- Send: Easily upload and send documents for others to sign.
- Manage: Readily check a document's status, send reminders, view audit trails, and store completed documents online.
DocuSign offers three options for preparing and sending documents for signature.
- Envelope: An envelope is a container used to send documents for signature. Envelopes can contain multiple documents and can be sent to several recipients.
- Template: Templates help streamline the sending process when you frequently send the same or similar documents, or send documents to the same group of people. You can use a saved template to start a new envelope. You can use the template as is or you can add additional files, modify signing fields, add recipients, and add or modify messages.
- PowerForm: A PowerForm is a way to create a self-service document for signature without writing any code. A PowerForm is initiated from a unique, secure URL that you make available for signers to complete. PowerForms are created from a saved template.
Roles and Permissions
There are two primary roles within DocuSign.
- Sender: The Sender role allows users to create, send, and manage digital envelopes and documents. This role is reserved for Cal State LA departments and needs to be requested.
- Signer: The Signer role allows users to review, complete, and electronically sign documents that are sent in a digital envelope. All Cal State LA users have the Signer role.
Requesting Access to DocuSign
Cal State LA departments that are interested in using DocuSign to digitize their business processes should start by requesting Sender access to DocuSign.
Requirements: A department email account is required to get access to DocuSign. If needed, fill out the Department Email Account Request Form and submit it to the ITS Help Desk located in the Library Palmer Wing Lobby.
To request access to DocuSign:
- Fill out and submit the DocuSign Access Request Form in ServiceNow.
- Once your request is processed, an account activation email will be sent from DocuSign to your department email account.
- Follow the instructions in the email to activate your DocuSign account.
Note: The link in the DocuSign account activation email will expire 24 hours after it has been sent.
Accessing Your DocuSign Account
Cal State LA departments that have been granted Sender access can log in to DocuSign to create, send, and manage digital envelopes and documents.
To log in to DocuSign:
- Open a web browser and go to https://account.docusign.com.
- Authenticate with your department email address and DocuSign password.
Below are step-by-step tutorials on how to use DocuSign. Topics are organized by role to help you quickly find the information you need. For additional training resources, visit the DocuSign Support Center website.
- Sending Documents for Signature
- Using Bulk Send (To request this feature, email the ITS Help Desk.)
- Managing Envelopes
If you have any questions or need assistance with DocuSign, please contact the ITS Help Desk.