The Children’s Center program provides many employment opportunities for Cal State L.A. students. The Center employs an average of 40 students each quarter as classroom teacher assistants and kitchen assistants. Many students work at the Center throughout their college years and describe their work as an important addition to their education and campus life. The professional staff takes great pride in working with college students and mentoring their growth as early childhood educators. In addition to direct supervision, lead teachers offer on-going staff development through individual and group meetings, and provide opportunities for students to grow as teachers through self-study and assessment.
Requirements for employment:
- Teaching Assistants: This position is responsible for assisting the teacher in supervising the children and developing and planning curriculum. A Child Development or related major is preferred; Students must demonstrate a desire to work with young children and an understanding of early childhood principles.
- Kitchen Assistants: This position is responsible for assisting the cook in preparing breakfasts, lunches, and snacks for the Children’s Center. Nutrition or a related major preferred
- Students are employed a maximum of 20 hours per week
- Applications may be filled out at the Career Center or on-line at http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/cdc/seforms/stuappli.pdf
- Staff Manual (.pdf 7.24 mb)
- Staff Manual Appendix (.pdf 6.16 mb)
- Classroom Manual (.pdf 22,109 kb)
- Career Center Handbook