The diversity of the program solidified my understanding of different learning styles and enabled me to gather the perfect tools to strategize my EFL teaching and make my students sucessful
Step-by-Step Program Checklist
1. Apply to the university for graduate admission at www.csumentor.edu.
2. Submit the below applications to TESOL Program Admission office (King Hall C2098). (NOTE: you will be notified by mail 4-6 weeks after the application is received)
- Admission Deadline
- Admission Instructions
- TESOL Program Application
- CCOE Master's Program Application
3. Schedule an appointment with a TESOL faculty advisor to plan your M.A. program contract. (NOTE: TESL 400 or ENGL 401 or EDSP 408 or equivalent is a prerequisite to the program. You must have passed it with at least a 'B' grade prior to filling out your M.A. program contract.) See page for a list of TESOL faculty advisors. Students seeking advice on any aspect of the program can meet with any of the listed faculty advisors. You will not be assigned to a specific faculty member for the duration of your enrollment.
4. The sequence of required courses begins with TESL 560, offered only in Fall Quarter. Students wishing to finish the degree program in a timely manner should begin in the Fall Quarter. (NOTE: Students who begin earlier than Fall Quarter or who wish to transfer graduate credits from another institution should note that no more than 13 quarter units may be counted towards the degree as of the date the M.A. program contract is submitted. See Step 3 above.)
6. All students must take and pass the UNIV. 400 - Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE) their first quarter here at CSULA.
7. After completing 16 units and passing the WPE, students must apply for Advancement to Candidacy (Form EGS - 10 see in Appendix).
8. Begin planning for culminating experience.
A. Students who wish to take the Comprehensive Exam:
(1). Need to clear all outstanding Incomplete grades.
(2). Need to submit an application in the TESOL Program Office (KH C2098) by the 5th week of the preceding quarter when you will be taking the exam.
B. Students who wish to do a Thesis/Project:
(1). Need an advisor's approval
(2). Need to take EDFN 452
9. Apply for graduation one quarter before you plan to graduate.
Master of Arts Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages