Undocumented Students


This web page is intended to provide information to faculty and staff seeking to advise AB 540 Students and for undocumented nonresident high school and college students seeking information about their eligibility for AB 540 and resources.

State Law

On October 12, 2001, Governor Gray Davis signed into law Assembly Bill 540 (Stats. 2001, ch. 814) that added a new section 68130.5 to the California Education Code. Section 68130.5 created a new exemption from the payment of nonresident tuition for certain nonresidents students who have attended high school in California and received a high school diploma or its equivalent. [Education Code section 68130.5]


The process for applying to Cal State Los Angeles is no different for any student with the exception of completing the residency section of the application:

  • When completing the application please leave the section requesting your Social Security Number blank.
  • Under the residency section, select option A if you qualify for AB 540 status.
  • Please complete the entire application.
  • Upon completion and submission of the application you will receive a letter from Cal State Los Angeles confirming the receipt of your application. The letter will also provide you with a Campus Identification Number often referred to as CIN.
  • Please complete the California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form and obtain a copy of your high school transcripts and a copy of your high school diploma. Send the Exemption Request Form, your high school transcripts, and a copy of your high school diploma to the Admissions Office.

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Application Form and General Information.

Living in the United States, A Guide for Immigrant Youth

Published by the Immigrant Legal Resource Center , the guide offers information about the ways that immigration status can impact a youth's ability to get a job, go to college, or remain in the United States.

Paying for College

The Assembly Bill (AB-131) allows students who meet AB-540 criteria to apply for and receive selected state funded financial aid programs such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, and Chafee Grant.
Beginning with the 2014-2015 academic year, AB-540 students are now considered eligible for Cal Grant awards.
To learn more about Cal Grant eligibility requirements, please go to http://www.csac.ca.gov/doc.asp?id=1177

AB-540 students who are interested in applying for state funded financial aid programs must complete a California Dream Act application.
The California Dream Act application and key deadline dates for the 2015-2016 academic year can be found at http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp.
Please note the California Dream Act application must be renewed each year.

California Dream Act Application Apply Now! http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp
Dream Act Application: https://dream.csac.ca.gov/

Students must meet all Cal Grant Requirements to be eligible.
Cal Grant requirements: http://www.csac.ca.gov/doc.asp?id=1177
Students should seek assistance from their colleges’ or universities’ Office of Financial Aid.

CALSTATELA has a number of scholarships available to students. The following links are also recommended.

Student Support Group
AB 540 students and friends meet on a regular basis during the school year.
The group advisors, Luz Borjon and Frank Cornelio, can be reached respectively at 323-343-4367 and 323-343-3127.
You can get additional information by visiting Students United to Reach Goals in Education Project, also known as SURGE.

The Future

Advising Training Material

(Courtesy of CSU, Long Beach) AB 540 Advisor Training Presentation