Facilities, Planning, Design & Construction (FPDC) oversees the planning, design, and construction of new and existing campus facilities and/or infrastructure that promote learning, collaboration and academic research. FPDC is responsible for long-range planning and implementation of the Campus Master Plan through the Capital Improvements Program.
FPDC is the primary contact with the CSU Office of the Chancellor on the annual development of the five-year capital outlay program.
FPDC’s team of staff and contracted design professionals, construction project managers, cost control and contract specialists represent the interests of the campus, working with the Office of the Chancellor, state, university community, and local agencies to coordinate and manage the development of capital projects.
FPDC provides guidance and assistance to campus personnel through the facilities development process, and coordinates consultants and contractors from initial conceptual planning to occupancy. Staff plan, design, construct, upgrade, renovate and/or remodel the campus facilities and infrastructure.
- Planning (also known as programming or feasibility study): FPDC project managers work with architects, engineers and the construction team to develop a set of design guidelines for the exterior and interior spaces of a new facility or the remodel of a current one.
- Design: Project managers oversee design development, ensuring an ideal space for the campus community.
- Construction: Project managers ensure that the framework designed is in compliance with building codes, seismic requirements and additional permitting and reviews and make sure that the construction site is safely secured.
As a client service oriented group, FPDC’s team of design professionals, construction project managers, cost control and contract specialists represent the interests of the campus. In addition, FPDC works with the Office of the Chancellor, Cal State L.A. community, and local agencies to coordinate and manage the development of capital projects.
FPDC provides guidance and assistance through the facilities development process, and coordinates consultants and contractors from initial conceptual planning to occupancy.
FPDC also is home to the Deputy Building Official (DBO) who is responsible for ensuring building code compliance for the campus and is responsible for maintaining the SFDB (Square Foot Data Base) of the campus and its coordination with the CSU Office of the Chancellor.
Accomplishments and Statistics
The department recently completed additions to the capital program, including the Transit Center TVFM renovations, the Corporation Yard and the Public Safety and Parking Services Buildings. Current construction projects include the Hydrogen Fueling Station, the fully accessible duplex at the Golden Eagles Apartment facility and the new Dining Center in the courtyard of the existing Housing Phase II.
Other recent projects include:
- Administration Building Seismic Upgrade.
- Billie Jean King Tennis Center.
- Golden Eagle Apartments.
- Golden Eagle Building (Bookstore/Dining Services Building).
- Hydrogen Fueling Station I/S Project.