2017 Fall Teaching Courses: 1) CE3660 Geotechnical Engineering I; 2) CE3680 Geotechnical Engineering Lab
Office Hours: Monday and Wednesday: 10 to 11am at ET-A215; Friday: 10 to 11am, 1:30 to 2pm, and 4:30 to 5pm at ET-C17
RESEARCH INTERESTS: 1) Soil Liquefaction, 2) Dynamic Soil Behavior, 3) Advanced Soil Mechanics, 4) Numerical Modeling
About Myself: I have over eight years' experience as a researcher and practitioner in the fields of Geotechnical, Earthquake and Tunneling Engineering. Prior to joining the Civil Engineering department of Cal State LA, I worked as a Post-Doctoral Fellow at Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI) at Oslo, Norway. I obtained my Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in 2015.
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (2016-17)
- Ph.D., Geotechnical Engineering (2015), The University of Texas at Austin
- M.S., GeoEngineering (2009), University of California at Berkeley
- B.S., Civil Engineering (2007), University of California at Berkeley
- Professional Engineer, the State of California, U.S.A.
- Staff Engineer, Jacobs Associates, District of Columbia (2009-11)
- Staff Engineer, Jacobs Associates, San Francisco, CA (2009)
- Staff Engineer, Treadwell and Rollo Inc, Oakland, CA (2008)
- Kwan WS, Sideras S, Kramer S, and El Mohtar C. (2017) “Experimental Database of Cyclic Simple Shear Tests Under Transient Loadings.” Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, 33(3), 1219-1239.
- El Mohtar C, Brady J, Sangroya R, Jaffal H, Kwan WS, Miller A. (2016) "Using Laboratory Testing for Designing the Optimum Field Grout for the Millwoods Double Barrel Replacement Project. World Tunnel Congress, San Francisco, 2524-2533.
- Kwan, WS, Nichols A and El Mohtar C. (2015) The Effect of Irregular Preliquefaction Loading and Particle Angularity on Postliquefaction Responses. Proceedings of the 10th Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Sydney, Australia.
- Kwan, WS, Sideras S, El Mohtar C and Kramer S (2014). Pore Pressure Generation under Different Transient Loading Histories. Proceedings of the 10th National Conference in Earthquake Engineering, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Anchorage, AK.
- Kwan, WS and El Mohtar, C. (2014) Comparison between Shear Strength of Dry Sand Measured in CSS Device Using Wire-Reinforced Membranes and Stacked Rings. Geo-Congress 2014 Technical Papers: pp. 1111-1119.
- Fu, L, Morgan, A, Kwan, WS, and Sharma, A (2012). "Testing and Analysis of Swelling Soils in Soft Ground Tunneling". Proceedings of North American Tunneling, Indianapolis, 267-274