Calififornia State University Los Angeles
Acting Department Chair (Winter 2015)
Associate Department Chair (Summer 2013 - Spring 2016)
Graduate Advisor (MS Geology and MS Environmental Science)
Undergraduate Advisor (BS Geology: Option in Environmental Geosciences)
Co-PI/Co-Director: LSAMP Bridge to Doctorate Program
Research Manaement Team: Center for Energy and Sustainability - NSF CREST
Chair: Academic Information Resources Sub-commitee
Advisory Board: Center for Effective Teaching and Learning
Recent Positions (2003-2009):
University of Texas at El Paso
Postdoctoral Fellow- Northwestern University
~ Geochemistry, Weathering fluxes and global climate implications- of rivers draining Tibet and Western China
Ph.D (2003) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
~Stable Isotopes of Se and Cr and the Fate of Redox-Active Elements in the Environment
M.S. Indian Institute of Technology- Bombay
B.S. University of Bombay- St. Xavier's college
CSU Chancellors Office (2014): Promising Practices- Redesign Geol 150 Earth Revealed
Role: PI Amount Awarded: $18,997
National Science Foundation (2014): 2014 CSU-LSAMP Bridge to the Doctorate at California State University, Los Angeles (Cohort 11)
Role: Co-PI; Amount Awarded: $987,000
National Science Foundation (2011): MRI: Acquisition of an Ultra-Centrifuge to Enhance Geoenvironmental Research and Education at California State University Los Angeles”
Role: Co-PI; Amount Awarded: $441,737
RSCA Mini Grant: 2011: Title: Effects of Climate Change on Water Chemistry in a Hyper Sensitive Permafrost Region of Central Alaska
Role: PI; Amount Awarded $5000
National Science Foundation (2009): Chromium Isotopes as Redox Indicators- Oxidation and Isotopic Equilibration Experiments,
Role: PI; Amount Awarded $163,513
NSF-MRI; $718,550 - 2008 Co-PI
USEPA SCERP Grant; $44,851 - 2006 PI
UTEP-University Research Initiative (2005); $2,850 - 2005 PI
- Xianjun Xie, Yanxin Wang, Andre Ellis, Junxia Li, Chunli Su, Mengyu Duan (2013) Multiple isotope (O, S and C) approach elucidates the enrichment of arsenic in the groundwater from the Datong Basin, northern China. Journal of Hydrology. 498:103-112
- Xianjun Xie, Thomas M. Johnson, Yanxin Wang, Craig C. Lundstrom, Andre Ellis, Xiangli Wang, Mengyu Duan (2003) Mobilization of arsenic in aquifers from the Datong Basin, China: Evidence from geochemical and iron isotopic data. Chemosphere. 9:6:1878-1884
- Xianjun Xie, Yanxin Wang, Andre Ellis, Chunli Su, Junxia Li, Mengdi Li, Mengyu Duan (2013) Delineation of groundwater flow paths using hydrochemical and strontium isotope composition: a case study in high arsenic aquifer systems of the Datong Basin, northern China. Journal of Hydrology. 476: 87-96
- Jeff B. Langman and Andre Ellis (2012) Geochemical indicators of interbasin groundwater flow within the southern Rio Grande Valley, southwestern USA. Environmental Earth Science.DOI 10.1007/s12665-012-1827-4.
- Alejandro Villalobos-Aragon, Andre Ellis, Maria, Aurora-Armienta, S. Morton and Thomas Johnson (2012) Geochemistry and Cr Stable isotopes of Cr-Contaminated Groundwater in Leon Valley, Guanajuato, Mexico. Applied Geochemistry.27(9): 1783-1794
- Andre Ellis, Thomas Johnson, Thomas Bullen, David Wang and Swati Joshi (2012) Cr Isotopes and Monitoring Fate and Transport of Cr–A Review. Proceedings of the XII International Symposium on Environmental Geotechnology, Energy and Global Sustainable Development, International Society for Environmental Geotechnology. 1:69-79
- Xianjun Xie, Yanxin Wang, Andre Ellis, Chunli Su, Junxia Li, Mengdi Li (2011) The sources of geogenic arsenic in aquifers at Datong basin, northern China: Constraints from isotopic and geochemical data. Journal of Geochemical Exploration.110(2): 155-166
- Christiane Ortega, Andre Ellis and Diana C. Fregoso (2010) Quantifying & Evaluating CPS Treatment to Remediate a Cr(VI) Contaminated site. Proceeding of the 6th Environmental Science and Technology Conference, American Academy of Sciences, Houston, TX, 2:39-44.
- Jeff B. Langman and Andre Ellis (2010). Geologic influences on source-water mixing along a paleochannel in the Southern High Plains aquifer, New Mexico. Carbonates and Evaporites, 25(3): 247-265.
- Alejandro Villalobos-Aragon, Andre Ellis, Maria, Aurora-Armienta and S. Morton (2010) “Chromium contamination in León valley, Guanajuato, México: a Cr stable isotope perspective”Water-Rock Interaction XIII. Editor(s): Peter Birkle and Ignacio Salvador Torres Alvarado. CRC Press.
- Jeff B. Langman and Andre S. Ellis (2010) “A multi-isotope (δD, δ18O, 87Sr/86Sr, and δ11B) approach for identifying saltwater intrusion and resolving groundwater evolution along the Western Caprock Escarpment of the Southern High Plains, New Mexico”
Applied Geochemistry. 25(1):159-174.
- Xie Xianjun, Andre Ellis, Yanxin Wang (2009) “Redox Geochemistry and Sulfur Isotopes of Arsenic Contaminated Groundwater in Datong Basin, China” Science of the Total Environment. 407(12):3823-3835.
- Hyonjeong Noh, Youngsook Huh, Jianhua Qin and Andre Ellis (2009) “Chemical Weathering in the Three Rivers Region of Eastern Tibet.” Geochimica et Comochimica Acta, 73(7):1857-1877.
- Melissa Carney, Andre Ellis, Thomas Bullen and Jeff Langman (Accepted) “Geochemistry of Yukon and Copper River Tributaries, Alaska” Proceedings of the World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Rachel Andrus, Barry Hibbs and Andre Ellis (2007) “Isotopic Data Reveal Historic and Present-Day Redox Controls on Selenium Distribution and Mobilization.” in Starett, S., Hong, J.,Wilcock, R., Qilin, L., Carson, J., and Arnold, A., eds., Environmental Science and Technology, v.1, American Sciences Press, Houston, TX, p. 255-260.
- Andre Ellis, J. Deluhery, and N. Rajagopalan (2005) “Effects of Organic and Metal Contamination On Etch Rate Of Acid Baths - Implications For Extended Acid Use.” Plating and Surface Finishing, 92(2):42-47.
- Andre Ellis, Thomas M. Johnson, and Thomas Bullen (2004) “Quantifying Cr(VI) Reduction and Lack of Chromium Stable Isotope Fractionation During Adsorption“ Environmental Science and Technology, 38: 3604-3607.
- Andre Ellis, Thomas Johnson, Mitchell Herbel and Thomas Bullen (2003) “Selenium Stable Isotope Fractionation in Unamended Sediment Slurries by Natural Microbial Consortia.”Chemical Geology, 195: 119-129.
- Andre Ellis, Thomas Johnson, and Thomas Bullen (2002) “Chromium Isotopes and the Fate of Hexavalent Chromium in the Environment” Science, 295: 2060-2062.
- Raskin, Ellis, Khachikian and Luna (2012) “Geochemistry of Springs in a Region Impacted by Natural Leakage of CO2, Around Mammoth Mountain, Mammoth Lakes, CA. AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Hunt, Ellis, Raskin, and Khachikian (2012) “Trace Element and As Geochemistry of Surface Waters around Mammoth Mountain, CA. AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Crowe, Basu, Doessing, Ellis, Fowle, Mucci, Johnson, Canfield (2012) “Cr isotopes in a ferruginous lake” Goldschmidt Conference 2012, Montreal, Canada
- Joshi, Ellis, Johnson, Bullen. (2012) “Cr Isotope fractionation During Oxidation by Manganite”XII International Symposium on Environmental Geotechnology, Energy and Global Sustainable Development, International Society for Environmental Geotechnology. Los Angeles, CA
- Joshi, Ellis, Johnson and Bullen (2011) “Stable Isotope Fractionation during Cr(III) oxidation by manganese oxides” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Raskin, Nafis, Ellis and Khachikian (2011) “Geochemistry of Springs and Groundwater in a Region Impacted by Leakage of Natural Carbon Dioxide Around Mammoth Mountain, Mammoth Lakes, CA” AGU Fall Meeting. San Francisco, CA
- Szutu, Santilena, Ellis and Khachikian (2011) " Geochemistry of a Lake Impacted by Natural CO2 Leakage: Case Study of Horseshoe Lake, Mammoth Lakes, California" AGU Fall Meeting.San Francisco, CA
- Dwyer, Ellis and Khachikian (2010) “Water Quality in an Elevated CO2 Region: a Field Study at Mammoth Lakes, CA” AGU Fall Meeting. San Francisco, CA
- Santilena, Szutu, Ellis and Khachikian (2010) "Major Ion Geochemistry of Horseshoe Lake, Mammoth Lakes, California: Water Quality in a Region with Elevated CO2 from Sub-Surface Leakage"AGU Fall Meeting. San Francisco, CA
- Wang, Ellis, Johnson, Bullen and Fregoso (2010) "Stable Isotope Fractionation during Chromium(III) Oxidation by MnO2" AGU Fall Meeting. San Francisco, CA
- Ortega and Ellis (2010)“Quantifying & Evaluating the Effectiveness of CPS Injections at a Cr(VI) Contaminated Site” Environmental Science and Technology Conference, American Academy of Sciences, Houston, TX
- Ellis, Carney and Langman (2009) “Weathering in Central Alaskan Rivers – Sulfur Sources and Cycling using S and O Isotopes” AGU Fall Meeting.
- Hibbs and Ellis (2009) “Geologic and Anthropogenic Controls on Selenium and Nitrate Loading to Southern California Streams” AGU Fall Meeting.
- Carney, Ellis, Bullen and Langman. (2008) “Isotope Geochemistry of the Yukon and Copper Tributaries in Alaska: Continental Weathering in a Changing Environment” AGU Fall Meeting.
- Villalobos-Aragon, Ellis and others (2008) “Chromium Contamination in Leon Valley Mexico: Insights from Chromium Stable Isotopes” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Ellis, Johnson, Villalobos-Aragon and Bullen. (2008) “Environmental Cycling of Cr Using Stable Isotopes: Kinetic and Equilibrium Effects” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Xianjun, Ellis and Wang (2008) “Hydrogeochemistry and Sulfur Isotopes of High Arsenic Groundwater of Datong Basin, China” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Andrus, Hibbs and Ellis (2007) “Stable Isotopes of Selenium and Common Elements (N, O, S) Reveal Redox Controls on the Mobility of a Naturally Occurring Source of Selenium” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Langman and Ellis (2007) “Multi-isotope (B, Sr, O, H) and Age-Dating (3H-3He, 14C) Study of Saline-Water Intrusion and Cross-Formational Flow in the Southern High Plains Aquifer” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Villalobos-Aragon, Ellis and others (2007) “ Fate and Reactive Transport of Chromium in Leon Valley, Guanajuato, Mexico Using Stable Isotopes” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Abdulaziz M. Abdulaziz and Andre Ellis (2007). “Application of Three-Dimensional GIS-Based Groundwater Flow Modeling in Groundwater Resources Management of the Quaternary Aquifer, East Nile Delta, Egypt” 10th Annual AAPG, SEG Student Expo, Houston, TX.
- Ellis et al. (2007) “Monitoring Fate and Transport of Hexavalent Chromium Using Stable Isotopes” ACS meeting – invited, Chicago, IL
- Ellis and Huh (2004) “Geochemistry of the Chang Jiang - Constraints on the Weathering Flux Associated with the Indo-Tibetan collision” GSA Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Ellis and Huh (2003) “Geochemistry of the Red River and Chang Jiang - Constraints on the Weathering Flux Associated with the Indo-Tibetan collision” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Ellis, Johnson and Bullen (2003) “Chromium Stable Isotope Fractionation During Adsorption”AGU Spring Meeting, Nice, France.
- Ellis, Johnson and Bullen (2001) “Chromium Stable Isotope Fractionation – An Indicator of Hexavalent Chromium Reduction” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Ellis, Johnson, Herbel and Bullen (1999) “Selenium Isotope Fractionation by Natural Microbial Consortia in Unamended Sediment Slurries” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.