Rebound assists formerly incarcerated individuals seeking to enroll at Cal State LA and provides support to current formerly incarcerated students. Project Rebound was started in 1967 by Professor John Irwin at San Francisco State University. The program is staffed by students who have had prior incarceration experiences. The program offers an alternative to the revolving door policy of the criminal justice system by offering a program which encourages students to excel in a course of study. The program seeks to encourage full time students who are motivated to succeed in a field of a study which leads to a Baccalaureate Degree.
Rebound serves as a liaison and advocate with campus services and programs as well as with community organizations. By offering resources and connections with supportive entities, Rebound attempts to help students with their basic needs so that they can concentrate on their studies and achieve educational and personal empowerment.
Project Rebound Services
- An introduction to the university setting and campus services
- Campus tours for prospective students
- Assistance with admission process
- Advocacy for students on parole, probation, or supervision
- Academic Program Advising
- FAFSA application assistance
- Limited transportation if needed*
- Tutoring and Mentoring for Rebound Students - EOP/Advisement centers
- Internships and Volunteering are also available for students interested in working with Project - Rebound at Cal State LA; Federal Work Study/Service Learning Projects
*Project Rebound does not offer housing or correspondence courses at this time.
Project Rebound Requirements
- Must be formerly incarcerated; off or on parole or probation
- Must be living or paroling to the LA Area
- Ability to perform college level work and maintain satisfactory progress by taking and completing 6-12 units each semester
- High School Transcripts / GED (for freshman)
- ACT or SAT scores (for freshman)
- 56-60 units of credit (for transfer students)
- College transcripts (for transfer students)
- Admission application (CSU Mentor) and Financial Aid (FAFSA) application
- CSU and FAFSA applications are available by writing to Project Rebound at Cal State LA
- by Ron French
DON'T STOP NOW
- by Debbie Mukamal and Rebecca Silbert
Scores of Californians have spent the past three years laboring to accomplish the unprecedented: bringing together our enormous criminal justice and public higher education systems to build a new generation....
DEFYING THE ODDS
- by Anthony Karamelas, Staff Reporter