How do students meet the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)?

Undergraduate students satisfy the CSU Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement by passing the Upper-Division Disciplinary Writing Requirement with a grade of C or better. This course emphasizes practices, conventions, and strategies appropriate to writing in the discipline.

Graduate students are exempt from if they hold an earned bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university where English is the primary medium of instruction. Graduate students are also exempt if they have a score of 41 or better on the writing portion of the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST) or a score of 4 on the analytic writing portion of the GRE or GMAT.

(Undergraduate Students) Will I need to take an additional course?

No, every major includes an upper-division disciplinary writing course as one of its graduation requirements.


(Undergraduate Students) How can I enroll in a course that requires the WPE as a pre-requisite?

The WPE is no longer a pre-requisite for any undergraduate courses. Pre-requisites have been lifted.


(Graduate Students) How can a graduate student satisfy the GWAR?


Who should I contact if I have additional questions?

Contact Dr. Christopher Sean Harris, Director of Writing Across the Curriculum, located at Library South, Palmer Wing, Rm 1061 [email protected]