Patient Rights and Responsibilities
The primary concern of the Student Health Center is the care and comfort of our patients, and to continually strive to improve services. Students can tell us how we are doing in our efforts to provide the best possible health care by completing a Patient Satisfaction Form. These confidential forms are available throughout the Student Health Center.
All Student Health Center patients have the right to:
- Be treated with courtesy and respect.
- Privacy and confidentiality.
- Access to your medical records.
- Be informed about your health problem and associated treatment in understandable terms.
- Be informed of the risks and benefits of proposed treatments.
- Know who is treating you.
- Know about possible fees associated with your care.
- Seek another opinion before making a health-related decision.
- Express concerns, make suggestions, or make complaints to the Student Health Center (SHC) Director or other SHC staff.
All Student Health Center patients have the responsibility to:
- Present accurate identifying information.
- Present full and accurate details of your medical history and/or health concern.
- Keep appointments or notify the Student Health Center in advance to cancel or reschedule.
- Pose questions and discuss concerns with your SHC health care provider regarding your care and to accept the consequences for not complying with your care plan.
- Seek appropriate treatment, including the use of off-campus resources, when needed.
- Respect the privacy and confidentiality of others.
- Be considerate of the rights of SHC personnel and others while in the Student Health Center.
- Adhere to Student Health Center and University policies.
- Be aware of the health effects of lifestyle and to strive to be healthy.