When you know yourself and your career options your job search is more effective. The job search involves building essential employability skills including résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing skills, communicating your personal brand, developing a portfolio and strategies for searching for internship and job openings. It is important to invest time and energy into preparing for employment to ensure that you obtain a satisfactory job.
Prepare your Application Materials - Your application materials are personal marketing materials that highlight how your strengths and skills best fit the job role and needs of the organization. It is important to have effective skills for developing these materials and that you invest the time to customize your materials to each position.
- Recommended Videos - Career Spots provide real-world career advice from global experts on starting the internship and job search, résumés and communication, networking, your personal brand and elevator speech, internships, interview dress, interview before-during-after, salary and negotiation and social media in the job search.
- OptimalResume helps you build your résumé based on a variety of formatting styles. You can also browse sample résumés based on industry and level of work experience. (Register as a new user using your Cal State LA email; do not use your campus password)
- Perfect Interview helps you practice interviewing in real-time and receive advice on how to best respond. You can create interviews based on your work experiences and the type of position you are looking for. (Create an account; do not use your campus credentials)
- InterviewStream helps you practice interviewing in real-time and share your practice interview with faculty, advisors and others to provide feedback. (Create an account and verify that it says "Sign Up for California State University Los Angeles" a few lines above the infoboxes; do not use your campus credentials)
- Career Development Guides - Career advisors publish guides and samples to assist you through the process of writing résumés and cover letters, interviewing, thank-you letters, internship and job search strategies and salary negotiation.
- Career Development Workshops - Career advisors conduct workshops each term to help you learn the skills to develop effective application materials and answer your questions. Workshops are listed on Cal State LA Handshake. (Requires student registration in Handshake)
- Group Career Advising - Meet virtually with a career advisor and your peers every first and third Wednesday at noon to get your career questions answered, whether it’s related to résumés, interviews, job searching or general career planning. Join us at https://bit.ly/groupadvice.
- Career Coaching - You can also talk one-on-one with a career advisor to address specific challenges. Email [email protected] or call (323) 343-3237 to schedule an appointment.
Search for Internships and Jobs – It’s important to use multiple strategies to maximize your opportunities, but you should also be organized and focused when using these strategies. Develop your strategies from the employer’s perspective to identify ways you can add value to the employer’s business and increase your job search success. Networking is the most successful job search strategy and the internet and related technologies, including social media, have become significant tools in the job search process.
- Job Searching While Social Distancing - It is understandable to feel uneasy about your career development during this time of social distancing. We have prepared resources to help you feel confident about navigating the virtual job search. Visit our Job Searching While Social Distancing guide.
- Accessing the Hidden Job Market – The hidden job market includes positions that are filled before they are posted or made public. You can access these positions by building relationships with companies and potential employers before a position is posted. The primary strategy for accessing the hidden job market is networking. Develop effective networking strategies by attending Career Workshops on Networking, listed on Cal State LA Handshake (requires student registration in Handshake), and using our Career Guides on Networking (under career development guides).
- Employer Events - Meet employers to start building relationships, gather information or to apply for positions. Events include employer information sessions and career/job fairs. Check the full calendar of events on Handshake. (Requires student registration in Handshake)
- Internship and Job Postings - All Cal State LA students and alumni have free access to Handshake online service to locate internships, on-campus student assistant jobs, part-time jobs and early career positions posted by employers seeking Cal State LA students and alumni. (Requires student registration in Handshake)
- On-Campus Interview Program (OCI) is designed to connect Cal State LA students and alumni with employers from a variety of fields who come to campus to conduct interviews typically for full-time, wage-based, entry-level to mid-level positions. For fully matriculated and currently enrolled Cal State LA students and Cal State LA alumni. (Requires student registration in Handshake)