Our services are organized below as three basic steps in the career planning process. You can either start at the beginning and go through them in order, or go directly to the step you want to learn more about.
Students who are fully matriculated and currently enrolled at Cal State LA, and Cal State LA alumni are eligible to use all career center services on a space available basis with priority given to students. Documentation of status will be requested at time of service.
3) Know How To Get There - Here are tools to help you get started on your career.
HOW TO DO IT
- JOB PREPARATION WORKSHOPS - Résumé writing, interviewing, job search techniques, and more. View the full calendar of events on Handshake.
- COMPUTER PROGRAMS - Use OptimalResume to create résumés and cover letters with detailed, professional tools. Use Perfect Interview and Interview Stream 360 to practice interviewing - video record yourself in a private room at the Career Center or use from home. Watch videos on Career Spots to find out what you need to know BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER the job interview. The CareerExpress offers a suite of online software to help you with preparing for the job search and job hunting.
- INFORMATIONAL GUIDES AND PRESENTATIONS - Short guides to what you need to know.
- JOB AND INTERNSHIPS - All Cal State L.A. students have free access to Handshake online service - locate jobs both on and off campus and internships posted by employers seeking Cal State L.A. students and alumni. Available 24/7. (Requires registration)
- EMPLOYER EVENTS - Meet employers for information or to apply for a job. Events include Career Fairs and Employer Information Sessions. Check the full calendar of events on Handshake. (Requires registration)
- ON-CAMPUS INTERVIEW PROGRAM - Interview on campus for entry-level positions with select employers. For fully matriculated and currently enrolled Cal State LA seniors and graduate students, and Cal State LA alumni.