General Education & University Requirements

General Education

The CSU requires that each baccalaureate student complete a program of general education breadth requirements in addition to their major program of study.  This is a total of 39 semester units of lower division General Education courses and 9 semester units of upper division General Education courses. An overall 2.0 cumulative g.p.a. is required for all general education courses. Students are urged to consult with an academic advisor in the first semester of attendance for assistance in selecting general education courses. 
General Education requirements may differ for certain majors. Please contact your major advisor or College Advisement Center for more information

Freshman Graduation Requirements
Transfer Graduation Requirements


Lower Division




Natural Science
and Mathematics/
Quantitative Reasoning
Arts and

& Self

9 units6 units9 units6 units6 units3 units


A – Basic Subjects:   The Basic Subject courses require a grade of C or better to pass.  Block A should be completed within your first 30 units.                                    
AI -  American Institutions:  Complete one course in EACH area:  1. U.S. History and   2.  U.S. Constitution-State/Local Government                                               
B -   Natural Science and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning:  Take two courses from two of the three areas:  B1, B2, or B3 AND take one course from B4, which requires a grade of C or better to pass.
C – Arts & Humanities:   Take one course from C1 and one course from C2.
D – Social Science:  Take two courses from two different disciplines.
E -  Lifelong Understanding & Self Development:  For Freshmen, the IHE course will fulfill this block unless their major requires another course.

Semester Chart - Lower Division Requirements


Upper Division

All Cal State L.A. students must complete a total of nine units from the Upper Division GE Requirements. At least one course (3 units) must contain a Civic Learning/Community Engagement (cl) component. Content area A and at least one course each from Areas B, C and D are the prerequisites to all Upper Division GE Requirement courses.  Check the University Catalog or Schedule of Classes for the Upper Division GE Requirements.

Semester Chart - Upper Divisionn Requirements

Civic Learning

The civic learning requirement gives students opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, and values that will prepare them for active participation in civic life to make a difference in their communities.

(cl) Designation

First time freshmen are required to complete a total of two courses certified as Civic Learning/Community Engagement.  Students will complete 3 units of (cl) in their IHE course.  The other 3 units of (cl) must be completed by choosing a course in the Upper Division GE Requirements that contains the Civic Learning/Community Engagement (cl) component.  These courses are designated by a (cl) in the University Catalog and Schedule of Classes.


It is the intent of the diversity requirement to promote understanding of diversity and encourage tolerance and acceptance of others.

(d) –  General diversity courses will be designated with (d)

(re) – Courses focusing on race and ethnicity will be designated with (re)

You are required to complete two courses certified as diversity courses.  One course designated as diversity (d) and one course designated as race and ethnicity (re) or you can take two (re) courses.  You may not fulfill the requirement by taking two courses designated as diversity (d) courses.

Check the University Catalog and Schedule of Classes, for the Lower and Upper Division GE Requirements. 


Each college has a course designed to assist you in your transition from high school to the Cal State L.A. campus.   It is recommended that you register for the IHE course taught by your major college but you can take any one of the courses listed in Content area E with the designation of (IHE).  Completion of an IHE course will double count for Content area E and will fulfill 3 units of the Civic Learning/Community Engagement (cl) requirement.

You must pass the IHE course within your first two semesters. Certain majors may require you to take an additional course in
Content area E.  Consult with your major advisor for more information.  
*Note:  Only one IHE course is required to satisfy graduation requirements. You will not be required to take another course if you change your major.


Writing Intensive

In addition to composition courses taken from Content areas A2 and A3, students will complete two writing intensive courses with at least one of those courses being in the major.  These courses are designated by a (wi) in the University Catalog and Schedule of Classes.