Frequently Asked Questions - May & Summer Sessions

Who can I contact if I have questions about May or Summer Session?

For general procedural questions, contact Program Developer, Kathy Martinez at [email protected].


Where can I find important information about May and Summer Sessions for students?

Visit the May Session website.

Visit the Summer Session website.


How much does May and Summer Session courses cost?

May and Summer Session self‐support courses cost $320 per unit for both resident and non‐resident students. 


Are there other fees students must pay?

For May and Summer Sessions (courses that begin with section 80‐89), no campus fees will be assessed. However, course and lab fees will be assessed according to currently approved policies


Who may take May or Summer Session courses?

Cal State L.A. students, International students, students from other campuses or universities, and members of the community. No student in a state‐supported degree, credential, or credit certificate program can be required to take self‐support courses to complete their programs. Self‐support courses are an option that can be an advantage to students. In that light, when scheduling May and Summer Sessions, no course required for completion of a state‐funded degree, credential or certificate program can be offered only in the May or Summer Sessions there must also be an option to take the courses during the state‐supported academic calendar.


Can international students enroll in May and Summer Sessions?

Yes, international students may enroll in May and Summer Session courses with no additional fees.


Can students concurrently enroll in a community college receive tuition waivers or reduced tuition in May or Summer Session?

Waivers and/or reduced tuition are not applicable in self‐support May or Summer Sessions.


Are there state-supported courses during May and Summer Sessions?

During the summer, certain colleges also offer state‐supported courses. These courses are listed as Section 1‐79. Continuing Cal State LA students may also enroll in these courses and pay state‐supported tuition. These courses may be taken by non‐Cal State LA students through Open University.


Is Financial Aid available for May and Summer Sessions?

Financial Aid, including the Year-Round Pell Grant, is available to students who have remaining financial aid eligibility. Students must also be regularly matriculated students, enrolled in at least 6 units, and in good academic standing with the University to be eligible for funding. For more information and for eligibility requirements, visit the Financial Aid website:


What are the add/drop policies?

May and Summer Sessions follow University Registrar add/drop/procedure/deadlines and refund proration as in any other term


Is campus attendance required? Please check your course modality.

  • F is for face-to-face and requires attendance (in-person) on campus (scheduled days/times).
  • H is for hybrid and is a combination of face-to-face meetings (scheduled days/times) and asynchronous (not at a scheduled day/time). Face-to-face must meet at the scheduled days/times.
  • O is for online, fully asynchronous, and self-paced, and will not have a designated meeting time unless the instructor requires it.


Do I need to be vaccinated? Is proof of vaccination required for online courses?

Yes, students need to provide proof of vaccination or apply for an exemption. Learn more about compliance here.


What technology will I need for May and Summer Sessions?

At a minimum, you will need access to the Internet and a computer. You can then obtain course materials and readings, submit assignments, and participate in discussion boards. If you don’t have a web camera or microphone and your instructor utilizes Zoom for a class session or office hours, you can call in.


What assistance is available to help students access technology?

Emergency grants are available for needs such as food, housing, and technology. To apply for assistance, please submit an emergency grant application form. If you have questions, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, some Internet providers are offering free or low-cost services to households with students and low-income families. Please note that these are services from third-party providers and not from any University department. These services are listed under Internet Access on the Information Technology Services’ webpage for IT Resources for Remote Access.


What are the important dates for May and Summer Session that I should remember?

View/download the May and Summer Session Important Dates document here.