Financial Aid

Pell Grant eligible students who have one full term of remaining Pell Grant eligibility will have their Pell Grant award automatically posted to their financial aid award for Summer Session (includes May Session). Students must be enrolled a minimum of half-time. Students who wish to pursue federal loan options should submit a Summer Financial Aid Request.  Students must have a complete financial aid file to be considered for summer funding. Students should check their “TO DO” list on GET to determine if they have any outstanding and required documents. Summer financial aid requests WILL NOT be processed for students with outstanding financial aid documents. Read about the "Year 'Round Pell Grant" and how it can ensure your timely graduation here. For more information about the "Year 'Round Pell Grant," contact Financial Aid and Scholarships.

NOTE: If you are enrolled less than full-time (12 units undergraduate; 12 weighted units graduate), most financial aid programs require a prorated reduction in your awards. Examples of the required proration for undergraduate students are as follows:

12 units = 100% 9-11 units = 75% 6-8 units = 50% 1-5 units = 25%

Steps to apply (for loans only): 

  1. Complete a Cal State LA Summer Financial Aid Request.
  2. PLAN AHEAD!  Meet with your Financial Aid Advisor to verify if you have any remaining eligibility from the current academic year that can be used for Summer Session.
  3. If you wish to take advantage of your student loan options, please complete the loan process during the current academic year.

Please review the Cal State LA Financial Assistance Summer Session webpage for more information on financial aid requests, general eligibility for summer financial aid, and types of financial aid programs available. Please note that May Session is included in Summer Session financial aid guidelines.

To learn more about your specific eligibility and to receive help with your Summer Session financial planning, contact The Center for Student Financial Aid at 323-343-6260.