How to Draw a 3D Room (by Kimberly L. Davis)



This project was a lot of fun. We were asked to construct a room using 3D Studio Max 5.0 consisting of a table, chairs, vase teapot, lamp, and a mirror.


Box shapes were used for the floor, tabletop, chair backs, and mirror.  Cylinders were used for the chair seats, legs of the furniture, the stem of the lamp, and to raise the chair backs. Their was a shape labeled teapot which made constructing the teapot easy. A sphere and a cone were used for the vase and two pyramids were used to make the lamp.  Three omni lights were placed high in front of the mirror.


Perlin Marble was applied to the background (walls) of the room. The floor is Stones_Benedeti. The legs of the furniture (including the lamp stem) is Metal_Black_Plain. Metal_Brushed was applied to the teapot. The tabletop is Wood_Driftwood and the lampshade is Fabric_Tan_Carpet.


Very few colors were used. The chair seats and backs are dark red and the vase is two shades of peach.  The cylinders of the chairs were cloned and created a problem later.  When the red color was being applied to the chair seats, the cylinders became blue (the original color prior to any modifications).


How to Draw a 3D Room (cont.)

With Vinit’s (Student Assistant) help, we realized that each cylinder contained several clones within it.  Each cylinder had to be checked and all extra clones were removed.  Then the red color was successfully applied to the chairs.


When we were told to include a mirror, I was thinking of a typical wall mirror.  Vinit intended for one whole wall of the room to be a mirror.  He  explained why the rectangle shape could not be used for the same effect (no depth). A box shape was used and a finish labeled Falloff was applied.


Adjustments to the diffuse, specular, and glossiness levels affected how the Falloff surface would reflect. The original settings were gray, 50, and 40, respectively. Diffuse was made white. Specular was increased to 90 and glossiness to 200. Now the mirror appeared black. So I decided to lower the glossiness and increase the specular levels. Specular was now 480 and glossiness was made 85. The location of the omni lights also made a difference. It was much better if they were placed above and directly in front of the mirror.


Now when the image was rendered, there was a true reflection!  Vinit and Kelcie (another Student Assistant) informed me that I am the first person to achieve such a reflection. As you look closely into the reflection, you will realize that in the background is the wall that would be opposite the mirror!