Following guidance from the California Department of Public Health and the University, Housing and Residence Life does not allow guests in housing and within individual apartments to promote social distancing as a precaution to reduce the spread of coronavirus. Housing and Residence Life has a priority to support the well-being of our residential students and staff, therefore we have suspended day and overnight visitation privileges until further notice. During this time we ask that you refrain from entertaining guests in your apartments and in the residential community including other Cal State LA students.
As we continue to practice social distancing, please remember you must wear a mask when in public, including when you are walking through the Housing community. Do not share masks with other students and continue to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, keep six feet between you and others, avoid touching your face and mouth and stay home as much as possible.
The Dining Commons is closed for the summer. Below you will find resources that will help you get food on and off campus.
The Spot is located in the Golden Eagle Food Court on campus. They offer a variety of meal options at an affordable price and also have snack items, pack and go dinners (to warm up at home), and household supplies all can be pre-ordered online and picked up at The Spot. Students will now have access to purchase meals (Credit and Debit card only), at “The Spot”. Hours of Operations: Monday - Friday 8: a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
For those experiencing food insecurity and are in need of other forms of food assistance please see resources offered below by our Dean of Students Office through the Cal State LA Basic Needs initiative.
Nationally known as the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), CalFresh supports the nutritional needs of low-income California residents. Students who are eligible to receive CalFresh benefits can purchase food through an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. To inquire about and seek assistance with the Cal Fresh/Los Angeles County DPSS application process please contact the staff at the CalFresh Outreach Center.
List of Resources
The Dean of Students office has compiled a list of resources on campus and in the surrounding community that can help with food security, emergency housing, financial support, mental health, and more. We encourage you to review our Student Resources web page for additional support.
If after you have reviewed the food options and resources above and continue to have questions or concerns regarding your ability to access meals please contact Nadine Kelley Associate Director of Operation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Safety Over The Summer
With fewer residents on campus, keep in the mind the following safety tips to prevent theft and keep yourself safe:
- Make sure the door to your apartment is locked at all times.
- Keep your windows and patio door closed and locked, especially if you are on the first floor, even when you are home.
- Don't let anyone into your apartment who you don't know.
- Keep your keys on you at all times. If you lose your keys, report it immediately to the Office of Housing and Residence Life in order to have the lock changed.
- Be smart with your car. Always keep it locked. If you don’t drive it every day, check on it periodically and move it occasionally so it does not appear abandoned.
- Always walk with others. At night, when on campus, call the campus escort at 323-343-3700.
- Add emergency numbers to your cell phone: Campus Police (323) 343-3700 and the RA on Duty (323) 343-4807. Remember, 9-1-1 connects you to the Highway Patrol. Use this if you are away from campus. If you are on or near campus, use the number for Campus Police for faster response.
- Put your credit-card companies’ phone numbers in your cell phone. If your wallet is stolen, you’ll need the numbers to cancel your credit cards.
Summer Parking Virtual Permits for Residents
All spring residential parking permits have been extended, the new expiration date for permits of students currently residing on campus is Tuesday, June 16, 2020. Students approved for an extension, emergency housing or summer housing must contact Parking and Transportation to discuss the purchase of a new permit to avoid parking citations.
Parking Relocation for Residents
Beginning mid-June, parking for Housing residents will be relocated to the northeastern corner of parking lot 5 (Mariondale and Paseo Rancho Castilla). Parking lot 7 and 7A will no longer be available to residents as it will become part of the new Housing facilities construction project.