(Current Cal State LA Students Only)
Housing Availability for Academic Year 2020-2021
The Cal State LA Housing and Residence Life application process is currently closed. Students with completed applications submitted through the Housing Portal have been sent an email detailing the housing availability for fall 2020 and next steps. If you completed the online Housing Application/Agreement and satisfied the $340 initial payment by the deadline but have not received an e-mail, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life at [email protected] with proof of payment so that we may review your account.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Housing and Residence Life will process housing assignments for returning students entirely online. Students who applied for housing and indicated their choice of roommates/housemates, will have their bed spaces confirmed by Housing and Residence Life.
- Online Application/Agreement and $340 Initial Payment Due May 7, 2020 (application closed on July 2).
- Assignments to be completed by Housing by August 10, 2020
- TB Clearance documentation: due August 7, 2020
Important Highlights for 2020-2021 Housing Process
The information below details the 2020–2021 housing selection process. The process has undergone slight changes from previous years, so please take note of the important process points below as they directly impact the terms and conditions of the housing agreement and selection process.
- The process is 100% online.
- 9 Month Agreement! It has been determined for the next academic year that facilities maintenance will have only minor projects that will impact a small portion of our inventory within select units. Therefore we will be offering 9-month agreements permitting students to remain in their apartments for the winter intersession period. The apartments that will have limited access over the winter intersession will be identifiable in the housing portal during the self-selection process. The indicators will inform residents of any facilities work occurring in specific spaces over the winter intersession that may require student access limitations. Please see the details in the FAQ section.
- All student classifications are eligible to participate.
- Students will be required to submit a $340 initial payment upfront along with the Housing Application/Agreement (includes application fee) to participate in the 2020-21 housing process.
- The Housing Application/Agreement will open from February 20 to May 7 (11 weeks) to allow ample time for students to participate in the process.
- Medical Accommodation Request Process and updated deadlines are outlined in the FAQ section.
- Housing Waitlist Process — Students who are unable to meet the extended deadline or financial eligibility during housing selection can select to participate in the housing waitlist process outlined in the FAQ section.
- Cancellation Policy – Cancellations will be accepted through the beginning of the fall semester. Students with a housing assignment who are no longer interested in residing on campus must submit a cancellation request form.
Online Tutorial has been updated to reflect the changes to the 2020-2021 Housing Process.
Housing Selection Eligibility Criteria
Students who have completed the online Housing Application/Agreement and paid the $340 initial payment by 5 p.m. (PST) Thursday, May 7, will receive a notification via their Cal State LA email on Wednesday, May 13, informing them of their eligibility status.
If you have completed the online Housing Application/Agreement and satisfied the $340 initial payment by the deadline and have not received an e-mail by, May 13, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life by email [email protected] with proof of payment and completion so that we may review your account. Requests for review must be received no later than May 15.
The following conditions outline a student's ineligibility to participate in the housing selection process:
- The student has not submitted a completed online application/agreement by the deadline.
- The student has not satisfied the required $340 initial payment by the deadline.
- The student has not been enrolled at Cal State LA for the entirety of the spring term.
- The student is not in good financial standing with the University. Outstanding balances or defaults of official payment plans established with the University Collections Office.
- The student has conduct sanctions or past evictions that have permanently restricted them from residing in university-managed properties.
The 2020-2021 Housing Process (Step-by-Step)
STEP 1: Online Housing Application/Agreement Process Due by 5 p.m., Thursday, May 7, 2020 (Student Profile, Room Type Preferences, Meal Plan, Payment Schedule, Renter’s insurance)
During this step in the process, students are required to complete the online Housing Application, student profile, meal-plan selection, payment-schedule option, renter’s insurance option, and Housing Agreement by 5 p.m., Thursday, May 7. Applications and $340 initial payments received after 5 p.m. on May 7, will be considered late, but these applicants may still participate in the housing waitlist process.
- Review and edit your profile on the Housing Portal. The student profile is a list of questions that will help you identify roommate and/or housemate matches. Students will use the results from the profile questions during Step 3 and 4 of the housing process.
- Submit online the 2020–2021 Housing License Agreement and pay the $340 fee online when redirected to CashNet. If you pay cash or with a check, please email a copy of your receipt to [email protected]. (Available online on February 20, with a deadline of 5 p.m. on May 7).
- All submissions will be reviewed for eligibility.
STEP 2: $340 Initial Payment due by 5 p.m., Thursday, May 7. (App Closes on July 2)
- Online (Credit, Debit, E-Check): Please log on to CashNET to make your online payment. For instructions on how to make online payments, read How to Pay Your Housing Statement Online. Be sure to select the option for the “Fall 2020 Housing Initial Payment.”
- Mail (Check or Money Order): Please mail in your check or money order to the Cal State LA Cashier’s Office. Please include on the check or money order the student’s name, campus ID number (CIN#) and “Fall 2020 Housing Initial Payment.” Mail it to Cal State LA Cashier’s Office, 5151 State University Drive, Administration 128, Los Angeles, CA 90032. (Check and money orders must be received by the deadline, not postmarked by the deadline.)
- Foreign Currency: Please go to Flywire to make your payment using a foreign debit or credit card, international wire transfer, or other local payment options from your home country. First-time users will be asked to create a Flywire user account. The system will provide you with instructions throughout the process.
STEP 3: Room Assignments – Housing Placement Process (June 2020)
Returning student housing placements will be processed in the order of their lottery position number. Lottery position numbers will be calculated based on the criteria outlined below. Lottery position notification and confirmation of eligibility to move forward in the process will be sent to your Cal State LA email address by Thursday, May 28, 2020. Room-type preferences requested during the application process will be considered during the assignment process but are not guaranteed. Students will receive an email confirming their room reservation and required next steps to their Cal State LA email account by the end of June 2020.
If a student is deemed ineligible to proceed to the housing placement process due to an incomplete application, students will be added to the Housing Waitlist. An assignment will be processed for students on the waitlist as we receive cancellations from students with an assignment over the summer, or at the start of the school year. Please see the Housing Waitlist Process outlined in the FAQ section.
The lottery will be determined by the following formula:
Cumulative GPA x Credits Earned = Lottery Number
(e.g. 2.44 GPA x 38 Credit Hours = 92.72)
Cumulative Grade Point Average is determined by the Registrar’s Office for coursework completed at the end of the fall 2019 semester. If the University has not included transfer courses within your cumulative GPA those courses will not be eligible to be counted and only what has been reported as your Cumulative Grade Point Average will be utilized to determine your score.
Credits Earned is determined by the Registrar’s Office for the academic credits earned on record by the completion of the fall 2019 semester.
STEP 4: Tuberculosis (Tb) Clearance
University policy requires that all residents provide proof every year that they are free of tuberculosis or not at high risk for tuberculosis and require a TB test. A TB clearance is required prior to moving in and does not have to be completed at the time you apply. To meet this requirement, follow these steps:
- Download and complete the Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Form.
- Be sure to include your name, CIN, date of birth, and semester for which the you will first be enrolled.
- Send to the Student Health Center via mail or fax:
- Mailing Address: Cal State LA Student Health Center, 5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032-8411, Attention: Health Records
- Health Records Fax: 323.343.6557.
The Health Center will notify the Office of Housing and Residence Life if TB Clearance has been approved or if additional steps must be taken by you, such as taking the TB exam.
2020-2021 Housing Agreement/Move-In
The official start of the license agreement is Sunday, August 23, 2020. The opening of the halls for student move-in will begin several days prior. Continuing students and New Admits will be invited to move into their fall housing assignments by appointment only. Students must meet these eligibility requirements to move in.
- Unit Enrollment (Undergrad: a minimum of 12 units; Grad: a minimum of 8 units)
- Payment (Paid in full or payment plan established with University Loans and Collections)
- TB Clearance (submitted and cleared TB review with University Health Center)
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 2020–2021 housing room and board rates?
Our 2020–2021 housing fees are listed on our rates and dates webpage. The 2020–2021 payment schedule is available online for your review.
Can I stay over winter break? Is winter included in the 2020–2021 housing agreement?
Residents continuing into the spring 2021 term are welcome to remaining living in housing during the winter break. Although students will have access to their space over the winter intercession period there are select spaces that will have some access limitations. Therefore during the application process students are asked to mark in the housing portal their interest to reside over the winter break, to help inform student placements. Note: any student approved to terminate their housing agreement at the end of the Fall 2020 term is ineligible for housing during winter break.
Not sure about living on campus next year?
University housing availability after the housing process concludes is not guaranteed, therefore it is highly recommended that eligible students participate in this process in order to ensure campus housing for next year. Even if you are not sure of your plans, it is better to reapply now and cancel if your plans change. Students must submit a request to cancel their housing assignments no later than July 23, 2023, to avoid prorated room and meal plan charges. All cancellation requests are subject to a $50 cancellation fee if approved. See the cancellation policy outlined below.
When is my housing balance due for fall 2020 and spring 2021?
Fall 2020 housing fees will be posted to your student account no later than mid-June 2020. Based on your payment schedule selection, your fall 2020 fees will either be due in one payment (July 2020) or two payments (July and August 2020). You must review your housing bill in June and follow the payment dates outlined on your student account to avoid late fees.
Spring 2021 housing fees will be posted to your student account no later than November 2020. Based on your payment schedule selection, your spring 2021 fees will either be due in one payment (December 2020) or two payments (December 2020 and January 2021). You must review your housing bill in November or once you have been notified and follow the payment dates outlined on your student account to avoid late fees.
- Late fees are applied monthly for past due balances. All fees must be paid in full prior to a student’s arrival to campus.
- If you intend on utilizing financial aid you will be required to communicate with our department and provide your financial aid summary for review each semester. We strongly recommend selecting the installment plan to permit your second payment to align with the financial aid account release date.
- Students seeking to use financial aid to assist in meeting their financial obligations for housing must ensure they have submitted all required documentation, registered outside scholarships with the scholarship office, and have accepted all aid needed to meet their obligations in full (Tuition, Fees, Housing and Meal Plan if applicable).
Missed application or payment deadline? Is the housing selection waitlist for you?
The Office of Housing and Residence Life will continue to accept housing applications and initial payments after the priority deadline BUT late applications will not be eligible to participate in the roommate search and selection process. All late applicants will be referred to the waiting list if space is limited.
Although participation in the waitlist process does not guarantee a student will receive a housing assignment, we still encourage students to remain on the waiting list as cancellations generally occur during late June, July and August. Waitlist students will be assigned to the next available bed regardless of room type preference as cancellations are received. Students placed on the waitlist can anticipate a review of their application for placement between June 30 and August 15, based on availability.
What if I fail to meet the eligibility criteria?
Students must meet the eligibility criteria throughout the entire housing process. Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to cancel a student’s application and room reservation if student defaults on payments, judicial sanctions, has a conduct issue or is not enrolled in the number of units required.
What if I have an outstanding balance for Fall 2019 or Spring 2020?
Any attempt to pay an initial payment with an outstanding balance will not be reflected as an initial payment instead it will be applied to any outstanding balance. Students must clear their accounts to a zero balance in order to pass eligibility for housing selection.
What Is The Cancelation Policy? Can I Get My $340 Initial Housing Payment Back?
The fall cancellation request deadline is July 23, 2020. Students are responsible for submitting a Cancellation and Application Refund Request to The Office of Housing and Residence Life no later than the official cancellation date. This date is set to accommodate the required 30-day notification process outlined in our Housing Agreement. If approved for cancellation, students will be eligible to receive a partial refund of the initial payment. When completed by the deadline, fees that are assessed during a cancellation are $40 application fee and $50 cancellation fee.
What if I need to request medical accommodations for housing?
The Office of Housing and Residence Life, in consult with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD), is committed to assisting students who identify as “qualified individuals” with a documented disability find reasonable accommodations as determined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Fair Housing Act (FHA) policies and guidelines, on a case-by-case basis. If you are a “qualified individual” requiring a specific type of housing accommodation due to a medical condition or disability, please follow the appropriate steps to ensure your housing selection participation with medical/disability considerations.
You must register with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) by providing documentation about your condition and housing accommodation recommendations from your treating physician. For more information on the registration process, visit the OSD website, or contact them at 323-343-3140 or [email protected]
Despite your accommodation needs, you are required to meet all deadlines for the housing selection process in order to be eligible for housing selection participation and placement.
When can I request a room change?
The room change request process does not begin until three weeks after the start of the fall 2020 semester. Our ability to accommodate room and/or building changes are based on the availability of space within our community. Students who are interested in a room change must schedule an appointment with their Residence Director following the three-week administrative freeze to discuss their interest and determine the best course of action. Please note: room changes are not guaranteed, roommate mediations are utilized as a course of action within our processes.
What are themed or Living Learning Communities (LLC)?
Students interested in one of the Themed Living Learning Communities for the 2020–2021 academic year should mark their interest under Living Learning Community (LLC) or themed community when completing their student profile in the online housing application. Students may show interest in more than one LLC or themed community, but note all LLCs/themed communities may require an additional application and/or enrollment in a class, special program affiliation or attendance to a minimum of programs to help develop the awareness in the community.
To learn more about the Themed Living Learning Communities, visit Themed Living Communities.
I’m interested in the Halisi Black Scholars LLC. How will the housing application process work for me?
The Halisi Black Scholars Living Learning Community is designed to enhance the residential experience for students who are a part of or interested in issues regarding the Black community living on campus by offering the opportunity to connect with faculty, peers, and engage in programs that focus on academic success, cultural awareness and civic engagement. For recent news about Halisi Black Scholars program, read about their Civil Rights Service Trip.
Students applying for Halisi Black Scholars LLC must indicate their interest in their online housing application. Students with an indication of interest, a completed application, TB clearance, and a satisfied initial payment will receive an email from the Assistant Director of Residence Life inviting them to participate in a separate application process with detailed instructions to request qualification for placement into the community
I’m interested in Gender Neutral and Inclusive themed housing. How will the housing application process work for me?
The Cal State LA Housing and Residence Life community provides a Gender Neutral and Inclusive housing option. It is a voluntary environment where students can live in the same room with any other student regardless of sex, biological gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. Students who live in this community will be expected to contribute positively to the community by offering support and encouragement for the living environment, respect for residents’ different motivations for choosing this living option, embrace and learn from experiences different from one’s own, actively participate in community events, and abide by all regulations outlined in the Student Guide and License Agreement.
Students applying for Gender Neutral and Inclusive housing must indicate their interest in their online housing application. Students with an indication of interest, a completed application, TB clearance, and a paid $340 initial payment will receive an email from the Director of Housing and Residence Life inviting them to participate in a separate application process with detailed instructions to request qualification for placement into the community.
I have been accepted into the Honors College. How will the housing application process work for me?
If you are requesting to reside on campus for the 2020–2021 academic year as part of the Honors Housing program, you MUST submit the $340 Housing Initial Payment and complete all steps required in the housing selection process by the requested deadlines. Confirmation of honors student status and eligibility to select into Honors housing is determined by the Honors College. Please note that honors students are subject to the same eligibility criteria as all other students participating in the housing selection process.
I’m a student athlete for 2020-2021. Do I need to participate in the housing application process?
Yes. If you are requesting to reside on campus for the 2020–2021 academic year, you MUST submit a $340 Housing Initial Payment and complete all steps required in the housing selection process by the requested deadlines. Athletes are subject to the same eligibility criteria as all other students participating in the housing selection process.