Construction of Cal State LA’s first traditional-style student housing facility, located next to our existing student apartments, is officially underway. Student Housing East will offer 1,500 beds for freshmen and sophomores, a dining commons and a learning center.
The project is scheduled to open in fall 2021. Regular construction updates will be posted on this page. Visit to stay in the know, view photos of our progress or report any construction-related issues.
* Residents living in Phase I near construction activity, please keep your windows closed to prevent dust from entering your apartments and to minimize noise.
* ‘Cardiac Hill’, the stairway from lot 7 to Circle Drive, and the loop are closed. These closures will remain in effect throughout construction.
4/19/21 – 4/30/21
- Bridge tower construction, elevator installation, road curb construction, site-wide grading and emergency road construction.
- Emergency road construction and the equipment used will make moderate noise.
- Warning whistles or yells and truck backup horns may be heard intermittently per Occupational Safety and Health Organization (OSHA) requirements.
Potential for severe noise:
4/19/21 – 4/23/21
- Install elevator shaft wall scratch coat, brown coat, install elevators.
- Lot 7a: compaction work, excavation, utility installation, install irrigation.
4/26/21 – 4/30/21
- Install elevator shaft wall color coat and clean up, install elevators
- Lot 7a: compaction work, excavation, utility installation, installing irrigation.