2021-2022 Winter Break
The Cal State LA Winter Break Schedule: Saturday, December 18, 2021 - Saturday, January 22, 2022. Housing will reopen for returning and new students on Friday, January 21, 2022.
During winter break Cal State LA Residential Communities will remain open to students who submit the winter break plans form and a winter break housing application via the housing portal. For those residents who will be moving out permanently at the end of the fall 2021 semester, information will be sent to you directly outlining specific details for the end-of-contract check-out procedures. For those who will be returning for the spring 2022 semester, below you will find what you need to know for winter break closing policies and procedures. It is important that you attend the required community meetings and comply with the end of the semester cleaning expectations.
Check-out and Key Return Procedures
We ask that you consider a departure date that is within 24 hours after your last final exam. The residential community 24-hour quiet policy will be in full effect and there will not be any social programs during finals.
Students departing for the winter break will be required to check out by 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 18, 2021. If you live in an apartment, you will keep your keys during the break.
- Fall check-out begins Monday, December 6, 2021, at 10 a.m. and ends Saturday, December 18, 2021, at 2 p.m.
- Students living in apartments and not staying for winter break, nor the spring semester will report to the Housing Office in Phase II to return keys via express check out. South Village residents can leave for break and do not need to come to the Housing Office unless you are not returning for the spring. You will need to submit a Petition to Cancel by logging into the Housing Portal. Once approved, check-out information will be emailed to you.
- Please have all the items you would like to take with you packed and removed from your room and apartment before checking out. If your contract has ended, please have all your items packed and removed.
- Residents of Phase I & II apartments, your bedroom key and front door core key must be returned at the time of your check-out.
- Rooms and apartments will be checked for compliance with closing procedures.
Stayover Requests (Late Departures)
Any resident that needs to request a late departure due to extenuating circumstances will need to submit an official request for a Stayover by email ([email protected]) no later than Monday, December 13, 2021. Stayover requests may not exceed a stay beyond 2 p.m. Monday, December 20, 2021. All requests submitted will be reviewed by our staff and if approved or denied, additional information will be emailed to you.
All approved late departures are subject to the following:
- A per night rental fee is charged to your student account for the additional night(s) of stay.
- Abiding by all terms and conditions of the most active license agreement as well as regulations outlined in the Student Guide.
Daily Rate Charge
|Room Type||Single Daily Rate||Double Daily Rate|
|Phase I & II Apartments||$57.43||$44.36|
24-hour quiet hours will begin at 12 a.m. on Saturday, December 11, 2021, and will extend until 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 18. Students have scheduled exams on the final day of check out therefore quiet hours will be in effect and those not taking exams are asked that they and guest assisting with their move out adhere to the 24-hour quiet period.
Meal plans will stop working after dinner on Friday, December 17, 2021.
Preparing Your Room for Break
You must leave your room and apartment clean and in good condition, whether you’re returning in spring or not. Any spaces left in atrocious conditions will be cleaned by a contract cleaning service and residents responsible for space will be assessed the cost of cleaning.
Before You Leave, You Must Do the Following (Checklist)
The following applies to students living in South Village and in the University Apartments. South Village residents can disregard the additional information meant for apartment living.
- CLEAN your room and all shared spaces such as the kitchen, bathroom, living room, and storage room if applicable.
- Vacuum and sweep floors
- Discard perishable foods and clean your fridge and cabinets. Students in South Village, please remember to empty any food in the Community Kitchen refrigerators and cabinets.
- Clean stovetop, oven, and microwave (including the plate inside)
- Remove all trash to proper dumpster locations
- Make sure all faucets are turned off
- Students in apartments, please REMOVE all personal items from the bathroom as housing staff and/or contractors will enter to conduct an inspection and address maintenance and repairs. Personal items remaining may cause delays. Please see Notice of Entry below
- SHUT OFF and UNPLUG all electrical equipment (TV’s, alarm clocks, coffee machines, etc.) and appliances - DO NOT UNPLUG THE FRIDGE.
- TURN OFF all lights
- TURN OFF A/C and Heating units
- CLOSE and LOCK all windows and doors as you depart. We also strongly recommend the closing of all blinds
- PICK UP your mail and packages. Residents will not be able to pick up mail after they have checked out for winter break. No mail will be forwarded over winter break. Please make all necessary arrangements with family, friends and mail order service. Only residents residing on campus for winter break will be given access to limited mail services.
- SUBMIT WORK ORDERS: If something in your room is broken or not properly working, now is the time to fill out a Work Order online: http://www.calstatela.edu/housing/work-orders
Notice of Entry to Room Over Break for Maintenance
Housing personnel, including facilities staff, may possibly enter your room for routine maintenance. In apartments, items in the kitchen can be stored in cabinets but the counter and area under the sink must be cleared. Items in the bathroom shower/tub and sink must be cleared. Housing staff will bag your items and remove them from these areas.
The floor must be clear of all items for Housing staff to be able to come into the apartment spaces; no trash, clothing, or other items that may obstruct their path.
Re-entry to Buildings Over Break
Residents who indicated they will be staying for winter break, you will have access to their rooms or apartments during the break.
If you indicated that you will not be here for the break, you won't have access to your room or apartment until 9 a.m. on Friday, January 21, 2022. Please make sure you have everything you need for the break. Remember to take all medications, travel items and anything else needed during the break with you. Additionally, mail and packages will not be forwarded to temp addresses therefore if you are expecting a package, please make the necessary arrangements to ensure delivery before your departure. All mail will remain unprocessed with the office until we re-open for services. Only students residing on-campus during winter housing will be permitted to retrieve packages.
Parking and Pick-up
As you make travel arrangements for the break, please refer to the following information and share it with family members and friends who will be picking you up.
- Residents are responsible for checking the Parking & Transportation website for information regarding parking rules and regulations.
- All regular university traffic and parking rules and regulations apply.
- No vehicles may be parked on sidewalks, fire lanes, housing loop driveway or unauthorized parking areas.
- No unauthorized vehicles may park in ADA parking spaces.
- All parking lots and garages on campus require permits (student, staff, or daily visitor) as indicated per lot or garage regulations.
Residential parking is located in Lot 5. Students with fall 2021 parking permits are welcome to leave their vehicles in lot 5 during the winter break period. All vehicles left behind MUST have a valid virtual permit to avoid parking violations and towing. Visit Parking & Transportation (aimsparking.com) to purchase your virtual residential permit.
Re-Opening in January
The residential community will begin the spring term on Friday, January 21, 2022, at 9 a.m. for new and returning residents.
- All outstanding housing balances must be paid prior to your return to campus in the spring. You will not be able to check back into your space if you have an outstanding balance on your housing account.
- Monitor your Cal State LA email as housing will be sending out notifications and reminders. If you have any questions, call Housing at (323) 343-4800 or email [email protected].
- Start cleaning, storing and packing for your departure now. You have probably accumulated a lot more items than you realize, and finals week may not provide enough time for you to sort through and decide what you want to bring home before closing. Remember those returning for spring do not have to take all items home, only take what you need and neatly arrange and store the rest.
- Check your mailbox before you leave and remove all items. Don’t forget to contact family and friends to notify them about mail services being closed to housing during the Winter Break. Make sure perishable care packages are not sent as they will spoil.
- Do not leave belongings unattended in courtyards, loading docks and parking lots as you pack vehicles to depart campus.
- After you leave, a Housing and Res Life staff member will re-check your rooms and units for safety, cleaning and maintenance concerns. You will be held accountable if you do not leave your room in proper condition (see checklist above) or are in violation of university policy.
Canceling at the end of fall semester (not returning for the spring semester)
Students who are not returning for the spring semester must submit a Petition to Cancel Form and receive approval to be released from their license agreement. Specific instructions on how to cancel were included in the email regarding Winter Break Plans. The Petition to Cancel Form can be found on the Housing Portal. Once you are approved, you may opt to move out anytime between the Thanksgiving break and the end of the semester (December 18, 2021). To check out before the end of the fall semester, residents in apartments may pick up an Express Check-out Envelope to complete and return to the Housing Office. Residents living in an apartment will return their checkout envelope, with keys enclosed, to the Phase II Housing Office.
Residents in South Village need only complete the online checkout form emailed to them once their cancellation has been approved. Housing units will be inspected for damage and cleanliness after you have checked out.