The Graduate Writing Support Program facilitates academic and professional growth by promoting writing skills applicable to multiple genres and disciplines. We provide constructive criticism and suggestions for alternative approaches during consultations centered on higher-order writing concerns, such as focus, audience, organization, and development. We aim to assist students in further developing their writing skills through a continual evaluation of their behaviors and beliefs about writing.
Students are welcome to consult with us about:
- Thesis, project report, and dissertation
- Preparation for comprehensive exams*
- Classroom assignments
- Personal statements, statements of purpose, and other essays for admissions applications
- Funding applications
- And more!
* We are happy to help students prepare ahead of comps, but CANNOT help during the exam. Please bring your exam guidelines!
If we feel you will be better served by a different office or department, we will direct you to more relevant resources and offices on campus. While we do not copyedit or correct texts for grammar, punctuation, or spelling, we are happy to address specific questions regarding their usage.
CONSULTATION GUIDELINES & SCHEDULING
When scheduling appointments, we ask that students respect the following guidelines for writing consultations:
- Writing consultations will focus on higher-order writing concerns, such as focus, audience, organization, and development. We are happy to assist at any stage, from brainstorming to the final draft.
- Writing consultants will not copyedit or correct students' writing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes.
- Students should come prepared to the appointment with specific questions regarding their writing
- Students may request an appointment through Navigate LA in the MyCalStateLA Portal. Instructions for making the appointment can be found online. Please note that appointments must be made at least 12 hours in advance.
- Appointments are scheduled for 50 minutes; we expect that students will arrive promptly. If students are more than 10 minutes late, the appointment will be canceled and opened up for drop-in hours. Students working on group projects or papers are encouraged to schedule an appointment together as a group, so that all group members may benefit from the experience.
- Students may schedule one consultation appointment per week, one week at a time. Additional appointments may be scheduled only after the current one has been completed.
- Students should bring to the appointment a paper or electronic copy of the assignment and a copy of the assignment instructions so that the writing consultant can be of adequate assistance. Students are also encouraged to email the digital file of their assignment to their writing consultant at least 12 hours before their scheduled appointment.
- Students must cancel appointments 24 hours in advance.
TOPICS TO DISCUSS DURING YOUR CONSULTATION
- How to get started on your writing assignment/project (brainstorming)
- Your paper’s organizational structure
- Areas of your writing that might be unclear to your reader
- Your strengths and weaknesses as a writer
- Whether or not you are addressing a prompt/assignment instructions
- Common challenges you have with writing and how to troubleshoot them
- Any specific questions you might have or specific feedback you might be seeking