Visit Health Watch for COVID-19 updates. Find Employee Return to Campus and Student Return to Campus information.
Emergency Notification

General Information

Financial Aid and the Entering Student

Your college education is perhaps the most important investment you will make in your life.  In order to make your college experience more valuable, it is crucial to understand the associated costs of attending a four year university, as well as the financial resources available to help meet those costs.

To be considered for financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The FAFSA can be submitted electronically at FAFSA on the Web.  When completing the FAFSA, make sure you have listed Cal State L.A. as one of the schools of your choice.  The Cal State LA Federal School Code is 001140. For "Dreamers", submit your California Dream Application.

In order to receive the best possible financial aid package for which you are eligible, you are encouraged to apply in your senior year of high school, by the March 2nd priority deadline.  If you are applying for the Cal Grant Program (for California residents only), GPA Verification Forms are also due by March 2. Your California High School should submit your GPA electronically to the California Student Aid Commission.  Check with your high school for more details.

After applying for financial aid through the FAFSA, Cal State L.A. will notify you by email of possible financial resources available to you for the upcoming school year.  As a new incoming freshman, please make sure that the Admissions Office at Cal State L.A. has all of your academic transcripts on file, accurate residency information, and that you are officially admitted to the university.  Taking this precaution will aid in eliminating obstacles that may slow down the financial aid process.

Our office is located in the Student Service Building 2330.  Please stop by or call us at (323) 343-6260.  We look forward to having you on campus and becoming "a partner in your educational commitment".

Financial Aid and the Transfer Student

Financial aid awards cannot be transferred from one school to another. You must reapply for aid at your new school.

Add Cal State LA to your FAFSA online. Our federal school code is 001140. “For Dreamers”, submit your California Dream Application. Wait for 10 to 15 working days for Cal State L.A. to receive your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information. Cal State LA. will notify you by mail of your award eligibility or if you need to submit additional documents. You may also check the CalStateLA GET website.

If you are transferring from Cal State L.A.: contact the new school to obtain their transfer procedures.

You may receive the Pell Grant from only one school at a time. If you transfer in the middle of an academic year, you may be eligible for the remaining balance of your Pell eligibility. For Cal Grant Programs, contact the California Student Aid Commission at (888) 224-7268.  Inform Cal Grant of a change of school with a G-10 form. You must reapply for all other financial aid, including student loans, at your new school.

Financial Aid and the Graduate Student

Many Cal State L.A. students receive their undergraduate degrees mid-way through the academic year at the end of the Fall Semester and continue taking classes here. These students must inform the financial aid office of their new academic status and have their new enrollment program updated by the Registrar's Office. This is because some financial aid programs are specifically for undergraduate students.  If these awards are disbursed to a student after their bachelor's degree is posted, they will eventually be billed for them.

If the student is admitted into a master’s, credential, or second bachelor’s degree program, financial aid will be adjusted to reflect the appropriate award for the new post-degree program. Financial Aid is not available for students who are not enrolled in a degree or credential program, such as Continuing (Extended) Education students.

Financial Aid Programs for Credential Students

Financial Aid Programs for Classified Graduate Students