EEP Application and Admissions Process:
Step 1: Register for an EEP Information Session and review program information
December 1, 2020, from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Please keep in mind space is limited
*Attending an EEP Informational is not mandatory but highly recommended.
Step 2: Review the EEP Application Guidelines and criteria:
The Program allows qualified students as young as 11 years of age and under the age of 16 by June 1st of the year in which they are applying.
Please note, students are applying to attend the Summer 2021 Honors Academy, not university admission for Fall 2021. Honors Academy is a multi-week experience offering college-level workshops and group activities. Honors Academy attendance is required for consideration for Fall 2021 admission. Upon completion of the Honors Academy, select students will be invited for admission to Cal State LA through the EEP pathway.
The California State University (CSU) temporarily suspended the use of ACT/SAT examinations for Fall 2021 admission eligibility consideration.
The student considered for admission to the Honors Academy Summer Program is one who:
- Educational needs will be met in an accelerated pathway including college-level coursework
- Demonstrates a strong desire to attempt a challenging educational program
- Possesses adequate self-motivation, self-regulation, and appropriate behavior in a professional setting
- Has a strong support network to undertake a program of radical educational acceleration, including but not limited to, financial support through a culmination of degree/graduation
- Has a history of advanced intellectual and academic achievement
- Performs at a level indicating readiness for college-level work
Applicants must apply via the online application link between *January 1, 2021 – March 1, 2021 (See Step 3)
- The Early Entrance Program recommends achievement of a weighted 3.8 G.P.A.
- School Transcripts
- Must include one semester or quarter grade report from the current academic year and a full year’s report from the previous academic year ( e.g. 3 quarters or 2 semesters)
- Application Essay
- Essay prompt will be available at the time of application via the application link
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- At least (2) recommendation letters must come from the students current or previous academic year teachers
- Each recommender should be able to speak to student character and projected student readiness to enter college as an adolescent/teen
- Gather your recommenders’ contact information including name and phone number
Upon receipt of the student application, a template for the letters of recommendation will be sent directly from EEP staff and all documents will be returned directly to EEP Staff.
Please note: Recommendation forms from friends or family members will not be accepted, regardless of the professional background of the individual. The provided form template must be used – we will not accept other formats for letters of recommendation.
- Headshot Photo
- Optional Item:
- Portfolio Item w/Explanation (digital submission only, a YouTube link must be provided for any video submissions. We will not accept direct video uploads)
Note: It is highly recommended that interested students begin collecting available application criteria ASAP.
Step 3: Submit an online application.
Applicants must apply via the online application link between *January 1, 2021 – March 1, 2021 Information submitted via email and/or outside of the application window will not be reviewed.
Application Link: (Application window is currently closed)
Select students will be invited to participate in a virtual interview with EEP Staff and Faculty. After completion of the interview, select students will be invited to participate in the Summer 2021 Honors Academy.
Note: Students may reapply one time if they are age-appropriate, and were not invited to participate in an EEP Interview. Reapplicants will be required to submit a second completed application with current student data and a new set of letters of recommendation. Previous materials cannot be used.
Step 4: Selected students will complete the following
Register for Honors Academy. Students must pay fees and attend an orientation before starting in the summer program.
Honors Academy Participation Fees: (TBA)
Participate in the Honors Academy. Students participate in a 5-week Honors Academy program during the summer.
Note: Students are required to attend the 5-weeks summer academy in its entirety
- Tentative Summer 2021 Academy dates *June 14, 2021 – July 16, 2021
EEP Admissions Offer and the Student’s Decision. If the student is invited for admission to Cal State LA through the EEP pathway, the decision to enroll in college should be made by the student. Some qualified students may wish to remain in a traditional high school program, and that decision should be respected.
Note: Students may reapply one time if they are age-appropriate, not admitted to the Honors Academy, or have completed a previous Honors Academy but not recommended for admission to the university. Reapplicants will be required to submit a second completed application with current student data and a new set of letters of recommendation. Previous materials cannot be used.
*Dates are subject to change
Please note, admitted students are fully enrolled students in the University, so their tuition costs are set by the regular fees charged by the California State University (CSU) system all tuition and fees should be considered as estimates and are current at the time of publication. Tuition and Fees are subject to change without prior notification, for more information: http://www.calstatela.edu/financialaid/cost-attendance
Admission to Cal State LA through the Early Entrance Program is offered at the discretion of Honors College staff, EEP staff, and summer faculty. The Early Entrance Program is one pathway of many for young talented students to pursue advanced studies.