Cal State L.A. is converting from quarters to semesters. Our last term on the quarter-based calendar is Spring 2016 and our first term on the semester-based calendar is Fall 2016, with Fall semester classes beginning on Monday, August 22, 2016. This page provides links to resources about semesters and the conversion process as well as about the new semester-based degree programs with ECST.
More information about semester conversion can be found on the University's Semester Conversion Website.
PLANNING FOR SEMESTER CONVERSION
Students will have an option to stay on the old program (quarter program) or switch to the new program (semester program). It is important that when deciding which program to follow, that you consult with your academic advisor. Those switching to the new program are strongly encouraged to complete an Individualized Advisement Plan (IAP). The IAP is not mandatory, but highly recommended. Once it is approved by an advisor, the IAP provides a roadmap to facilitate completion of graduation requirements in a timely manner. It also allows the university to improve course offerings based on what students have planned to enroll in and when.
PHASE 1 (AS OF MAY 11, 2015): STUDENTS WHO HAVE COMPLETED 90 – 132 UNITS
As of May 11, 2015, ECST Students who had completed 90-132 units, when logging into their GET account noticed a pop-up message indicating that they had been identified as a student who will graduate after semester conversion and urging them to see their advisor to complete an Individualized Advisement Plan (IAP). Our college started assisting students with the completion of the IAP starting the fourth week in June and all throughout the summer quarter. This was done through major specific group advising sessions called “IAP Clinics,” conducted in computer labs by faculty, staff, and peer advisors during designated dates and times. The schedule for the IAP Clinics was emailed to students, posted on the ECST Semester Conversion page on our website, and was also advertised through the ECST newsletter.
PHASE 2 (AS OF FALL 2015): STUDENTS WHO HAVE COMPLETED 45 UNITS & ABOVE
ECST Students who have completed 45 units and above, starting Fall 2015, when logging into their GET account will notice the pop-up message indicating that they have been identified as a student who will graduate after semester conversion and urging them to see their advisor to complete an Individualized Advisement Plan (IAP). Our college will continue assisting this group of students with the completion of the IAP starting Fall 2015 through scheduled IAP clinics (see schedule below).
SEMESTER PROGRAM MATERIALS
ECST CURRICULUM SHEETS (SEMESTER)
- Civil Engineering http://www.calstatela.edu/ecst/ce/curriculum
- Mechanical Engineering http://www.calstatela.edu/ecst/me/curriculum
- Electrical Engineering http://www.calstatela.edu/ecst/ece/semester-curriculum
- Computer Science http://csns.calstatela.edu/department/cs/program/view?id=4946594
Technology Coming Soon...
ECST CURRICULUM CONVERSION MAPS
- Civil Engineering Curriculum Conversion Map (BSCE)
- Mechanical Engineering Curriculum Conversion Map (BSME)
- Electrical Engineering Curriculum Conversion Map (BSEE)
- Computer Science Curriculum Conversion Map (BSCS)
- Technology Major Conversion Maps: Aviation Administration, Fire Protection, Graphics Communications, Industrial Technology
ECST MAJOR ROADMAPS
General Education Requirements
- Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science
ECST STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER (ESSC) INFORMATION
- ESSC Programs and Services
- ESSC Advising Syllabus
General University Resources
- University’s Q2S Website: Information For Students
- Student FAQ on University’s Q2S Website
- University’s Semester Conversion Homepage
- Cal State L.A. Semester Calendar, 2016-2017
- Cal State L.A. Semester Time Blocks for Daytime Classes
- Checklist for Transition Advisnig: Advisement Before Semester Conversion for Advisors
- Course Conversion Guide
- What-If-Report Guidelines Flyer
- Preparing for Bridge Courses