Grow Your Network
Networking is about building relationships and community. It involves sharing your story, interests and goals with people who have similar professional interests.
Start by talking to your classmates, peers, advisors and faculty. Reach out to people working in the fields you're interested in. They can be a great resource and often times welcome conversations with students.
Here are some resources to help you get started.
Prepare to Network
- My Professional Brand (handout) - use this guide to create your professional brand statement.
- Building a Professional Brand: Your Professional Journey at Cal State LA (presentation)
- Elevator Pitch/Speech (video)
- Setting up a LinkedIn Profile (presentation)
- Email Etiquette for Business (presentation)
One of the best ways to begin a conversation with professionals in a field you're interested in is by asking them questions. Ask about their pathways and the skills required in the position.
- Informational Interviews (handout)
- Roadtrip Nation Documentaries (videos) – see how people like you found work that they love.
- How to Network Virtually to Make Connections (presentation) (Network Virtually Connections Word version)
- Networking on LinkedIn (presentation)
Where to Network
- Cal State LA Alumni Association
- Employer Info Sessions – The Career Center regularly hosts employer info sessions. These are great opportunities to hear from employers from a diverse range of industries and get tips on how to apply for their positions. You can find employer events on Handshake.
- Networking Events and Conferences – These are great opportunities to meet employers, build relationships and gather information. You can find networking events on Handshake and professional associations also host conferences for networking.
Attend any of our workshops on networking, elevator pitches or setting up a LinkedIn profile. Look for them and sign up on Handshake.
Drop in during virtual group advising to ask your initial questions or start the conversation, whether it’s related to résumés, interviews, internships and job searching or general career planning. Learn with and from your peers as career advisors help you form an initial strategy.
- 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month
- 12 p.m.
Work on an individual basis with a career advisor who will guide you through every step of the Career Development Journey and provide you with an understanding of what is important to reach your career goal and become a professional.
Email [email protected] or call 323-343-3237 to schedule an appointment.