CAL STATE LA PHILOSOPHY OF ACADEMIC ADVISING
Academic advising is central to the educational process. It is a multifaceted academic and academically related all-university function intended to facilitate an experience for students that is both educationally and socially meaningful and successful. Academic advising is a continuous process through which the advisor and student design, evaluate and modify a plan that meets the students’ individual needs, educational objectives and University expectations . . .
The entire statement can be accessed at: www.calstatela.edu/academicsenate/handbook/ch4#ph.
The purposes of advising are:
- to assist students to maximize the benefits of their educational experience by providing guidance in the selection of curricular programs and courses;
- to help students become familiar with career opportunities directly and indirectly related to their academic interests and professional ambitions;
- to acquaint students with campus resources and services, including how these can help meet their educational and personal needs and aspirations;
- to encourage students to develop the independence and personal skills necessary to make informed judgments about their educational objectives, careers;and
- to use of campus support systems and other opportunities available on or through the campus.