Welcome to the website of the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures (MLL) at Cal State L.A.! The Department offers BA, MA, and minor programs in Spanish, BA and minor programs in Japanese, Chinese and French, and a certificate program in Korean. The major programs in French, Japanese, and Spanish have a single subject credential option. All major programs are structured to enable students: (a) to achieve a high level of proficiency in all language skills by emphasizing innovative approaches to the teaching of all courses, and (b) to acquire broad and profound cultural and linguistic understanding through a variety of upper-division and graduate linguistics and literature courses taught by highly qualified faculty.
We are proud of having produced many graduates who have become successful teachers in high school and community college, have entered an MA program or Ph.D. programs in the U.S. and abroad, and have become college professors and published authors. Some of our majors have gone into other fields, including law, business, interpretation and translation. If you choose to major in one of our programs, we can offer you the following:
- Exceptional faculty who will work closely with you on subject matters in and outside classrooms
- A faculty mentor assigned to each of you will guide you from the first quarter until graduation
- Undergraduate, Credential, and Graduate Advisors, as well as the Department Chair, who are available for daily assistance
- Abundant opportunities for immersion experiences (e.g., field work, language tables, study abroad, internship abroad, and immersion day events)
- Extra-curricular activities (e.g., guest lectures, film series, essay contests, poetry recitation contests, and speech contests) offered through an honor society, student clubs, and Centers associated with different languages
- Scholarships, graduate assistantships, and opportunities to participate in workshops such as the Summer Workshop on Foreign Language Teaching
Without doubt, the Department of MLL, where you will experience academic, creative, and personal growth, is the place for you to earn a BA or MA, or to minor in a language that can improve your job options in other fields. For more information, please contact the Department office.
Sachiko Matsunaga, Department Chair