How to connect to campus via SLIP (Macintosh)
Modem (at least 14.4bps)
MacTCP is required: If you are already using System 7.5 and above,
MacTCP is usually installed. Alternatively, you can also use TCP/IP
(which is NOT illustrated)
If you are using System 7.1.x, you need to purchase a copy of MacTCP.
Recommended SLIP software : InterSLIP by InterCon (FREE) Not officially
supported. email: [email protected] for help but do not call InterCon.
Downloading and Setting up InterSLIP
(MacTCP must be already installed)
- Download "mac_slip.hqx" (self-extracting) from "ftp.calstatela.edu" in
the directory /pub/dlmenu.
- You should see "Mac SLIP Folder" after downloading.
- Double Click on "MacTCP for CSLA SLIP" and click button "Set MacTCP".
You should get a message "MacTCP has been set". (Warning: If you are currently
using MacTCP for other purposes, save a copy first or you will lose the
- Run the InterSLIP Installer. Follow installation instructions.
- Re-start your Mac when prompted to do so after installation.
- Drag the folder InterSLIP Folder into the Preferences Folder in the System
Folder to replace the existing InterSLIP folder.
- Go to Apple Menu items and select "InterSlip setup".
- Double Click on CSLA.
- Manually enter the following information:
User name: Enter your NIS Userid in the box.
Configure the following depending on your modem: Serial Port, Baud
Rate, Dial Script, Tel. No (323) 343-6875 (Do not select Direct Connection).
Leave other data unchange.
- Close InterSLIP and re-start your Mac again.
- Go to Apple Menu items and select "InterSlip setup". Click on "Connect"
(When prompted for SLIP password, enter your NIS password).
- Check messages in the windows until <Connected> is displayed.
You can start running Network programs (e.g. Telnet, Netscape, etc.) now.
For subsequent connection, start at step 11.
Cal State L.A.
| University Library
| Student Training Program
Faculty Instructional Techonology
and Support Center | ATS
Last updated (BC) 12/06/99