Master of Arts Program Information and Application
What is the Masters Program Like?
-- small classes, offered in evenings for working students
-- close working relationships with professors
-- the chance to pursue subjects of interest in depth
Where do MA graduates go after their degree?
-- Doctoral programs: at prestigious doctoral programs in history, American studies, and ethnic studies at institutions like UCLA, USC, Yale, Iowa, Indiana, George Washington, and Minnesota.
-- Community College Positions: recent graduates have gotten tenure-track jobs at East Los Angeles College, Rio Hondo College, Glendale College, Santa Ana College, and LA Trade Tech College.
-- Public History/Library/Archival Positions: at institutions like Los Angeles Public Library, CSU Dominguez Hills Special Collections, the Drum Barracks Museum,
-- Enhanced Career Opportunities for both current and prospective middle school and secondary school teachers
--A wide variety of other careers in areas like journalism, media, and business research
- Program Information
- General Application Instructions (from the University Graduate Studies Office)
- History MA Program Application Form (with specific instructions for History applicants)
- Requirements for Degree Completion (30-33 units)
- Thesis Option
- Thesis Application Form click download to access fillable PDF with e-signatures.
- GS 13 Form click download to access fillable PDF with e-signatures.
- GS 14 Form click download to access fillable PDF with e-signatures.
- HIST 5910 Guidelines
- Hist 5960 Guidelines
- Comprehensive Examinations Application Form click download to access fillable PDF with e-signatures.
Download a copy of the program planner for the History M.A. degree in effect as of Fall 2019
History Courses: Semester Numbers
Download a list of the History Department's semester courses (as of Fall 2016)