The Undergraduate Minor in History is open to any Cal State L.A. undergraduate who is not majoring in History. It provides an excellent opportunity to learn how historical understanding can enhance your your own career choices. A history minor can, for instance, help doctors and nurses understand the health priorities of the communities they serve. It can help business majors think about the needs of potential customers. It can provide a grounding for anyone interested in community empowerment. And it's a lot of fun for its own sake! History minors can choose areas of focus (see Departmental Specialization) that meet their interests.
Download a checklist of the program requirements for the History minor.
Requirements for the History Minor: 18 units
I. Lower-Division Required Courses (6 semester units)
Select two courses from the following list:
- HIST 1010: World History to 1500 (3)
- HIST 1020: World History, 1500 to Present (3)
- HIST 1500: Asian-American History (3)
- HIST 1600: History of Asia (3)
- HIST 2010: United States History to 1877 (3)
- HIST 2020: United States History, 1877 to Present (3)
- HIST 2050: Race and Ethnicity in U.S. History (3)
II. Upper-Division Required Courses (6 semester units)
Select any two 4000-level courses in History (with the HIST prefix).
III. Upper-Division Elective Courses (6 semester units)
Select any two courses in History (with the HIST prefix) at the 3000- or 4000-level.
Download a complete list of the History Department's courses.