Info for Lecturers

Cal State L.A. logo and University Seal - Link back to main page

Department of English

Engineering & Technology A604
Contact us: (323) 343-4140

Info for Lecturers

Hiring, Evaluation, Rehiring

English Department Staff

Department Office Hours

Office Assignments/Keys/Mailboxes/Telephones/E-Mail


Faculty ID Cards


Campus Computer (NIS) and GET Accounts

Access to Computers and Campus Computer Labs

Library: Location, Access, and Resources


Hiring, Evaluation, Rehiring (back to top)


New applicants for lecturer positions are reviewed yearly by the Part-Time Instructors Review Committee (PTIRC), who rank those that they recommend, and these names are added to the lecturer pool. The English Department chair selects applicants from the pool to fill any vacancies that become available.

Departmental Evaluation of Teaching

University policy requires regular evaluation of all part-time faculty. Contract faculty are reviewed yearly, and quarter-to-quarter faculty must be reviewed after they have taught two quarters. In the English Department, lecturers are reviewed by the Part-Time Instructors Review Committee (PTIRC), an elected committee of full-time tenured English Department faculty. All lecturers submit a file of materials to the office of the Dean of Arts and Letters in January (the specific date is announced each year). PTIRC evaluates instructors on the basis of the instructional materials in their file, their student evaluations, and a classroom observation, if one has been conducted. Classroom observations are not needed for long-term instructors unless they are requesting range elevation, but they are strongly recommended for those instructors who have recently begun teaching at Cal State LA. After PTIRC has reviewed the files, the committee completes a College of Arts and Letters evaluation form that summarizes their evaluation of each instructor. The files and evaluations are next reviewed by the chair of the department who may concur with the committee or complete a separate evaluation to disagree with or qualify the conclusions of PTIRC. The Chair of the English Department holds an informational meeting on the review process after the completion of the fall quarter Composition Faculty Meeting.

Eligibility for Contracts, Rehiring

Lecturers are eligible to be rehired based on their evaluation by PTIRC and the guidelines/requirements in the California Faculty Association (CFA) contract with the CSU. The current contract has expired and is now under negotiation. Under the last contract, lecturers who had taught for six years were eligible for a three-year contract. Lecturers with fewer than six years of service were eligible for a one-year contract if they met the specified service requirements during the previous academic year. Generally, the terms of an expired contract area continued while negotiations are ongoing, but lecturers may wish to contact CFA to learn more regarding their status and benefits while we are between contracts. Instructors who are not eligible for year contracts but who have received a satisfactory rating from PTIRC may be hired on a quarter-to-quarter basis, depending on course enrollments and departmental needs.

Salary and Salary Increases

Salary compensation is determined by the outcome of negotiations between CSU and CFA. Lecturers are eligible for both "general" salary increases and "salary service increases" (SSIs). In addition, lecturers are eligible for "range elevation" when they can no longer receive SSIs in their current range. Lecturers should contact CFA regarding any questions about salary increases.

English Department Staff (back to top)

The English Department is fortunate to have three excellent, long-term staff members who keep the department running smoothly: Yolanda Galvan, the department secretary and office manager; Jeanne Gee, who has widely varied secretarial responsibilities involving both faculty and staff; and Terry Flores, whose primary responsibilities are in Student Advisement and Records. We sometimes have a part-time student assistant to help the staff. This is an extremely small staff considering the size of the department (over 60 faculty members including lecturers and TAs) and the number of students enrolled in English classes. They are willing to help composition faculty in any way, but they have many demands on their time, so please limit requests to those that are absolutely essential to teaching.

Department Office Hours (back to top)

To be available to students who take late afternoon or evening classes, the office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Mondays-Thursdays. It is also open from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Fridays, but is closed for one hour for lunch on Fridays (time varies).

Office Assignments, Keys, Mailboxes, Telephones, and E-Mail (back to top)

Offices: All offices are shared; in some cases, desks are also shared. Yolanda attempts to arrange office assignments so those instructors with different teaching schedules share the same office. She makes office assignments at the beginning of the fall quarter and notifies instructors if their offices will be changed for subsequent quarters. We no longer have enough space for all lecturers and TAs to have offices on the sixth floor of E&T, so some offices are located in the Fine Arts building.

Keys: Each instructor receives two keys: one to his/her office and the second to the departmental office containing the mailboxes and copy machines. Yolanda will complete the required form, obtain the necessary signatures for approval, and submit the form for processing. When your keys are ready (generally after several days), you will be notified and then must go to the Campus Police office to pick them up. Instructors who are hired on quarter-to-quarter contracts must turn in their keys to Yolanda if they are not returning for the next quarter. Keys must also be turned in if you are moved to a different office or at the end of the academic year.

Mailboxes: Each instructor has a mailbox in the departmental office. Check it regularly for departmental, university, and student communications.

Telephone Extensions: The departmental telephone number is 323-343-4140. All instructors have a telephone extension in their office for calling students and for receiving calls. Only local calls (including 323, 818, 626, 562, and 310 area codes) can be made from offices. To call students living in other area codes, instructors must use the phone in the department office. Not all lecturers and TAs have voice mail because of the costs involved in setting up voice mailboxes. Therefore, instructors should list the departmental telephone number along with their extension number on their syllabus.

E-Mail: Instructors receive a campus e-mail account and address when they open a computer account. Instructors preferring to be contacted through another contact e-mail address should notify Yolanda Galvan.

Payroll/Paychecks (back to top)

Instructors who are on quarter-to-quarter contracts must complete various employment forms at the Human Resources Department in ADM 605 and must be added to the university payroll each quarter. Paychecks for contract instructors are issued between the 30th and the 1st, depending on the month. Instructors who have one-quarter appointments and Teaching Associates receive checks according to a different schedule. Jeanne Gee notifies these instructors each quarter regarding the dates when checks will be available.

Faculty ID Cards (back to top)

All lecturers are required to obtain a faculty ID card. Some contract lecturers have permanent Golden Eagle ID cards, and these are automatically renewed when they receive their contract and are added to the university payroll. Those contract lecturers who have paper ID cards must go to the Golden Eagle card office in the basement of King Hall to have their ID updated. Lecturers who are hired on a quarter-to-quarter contract obtain their ID from Human Resources in ADM 605 after completing their personnel and payroll forms. They will have to have the ID updated each quarter.

Parking (back to top)

Parking stickers can be purchased from the Cashier in the Administration Building. (The other option is to buy a daily permit.) Certain sections of the parking structures are reserved for faculty and staff. Lecturers must have their Human Resources ID card (NOT the Golden Eagle Card) to buy a faculty/staff parking pass.

Campus Computer (NIS) and GET Accounts (back to top)

Both faculty and students need a NIS computer account to access the library catalog and to use the open access computer labs on campus. Faculty also must have a GET account to access the student information system and to submit grades online. Yolanda will provide new lecturers with the necessary forms and submit them once they are signed. You will be notified when the accounts have been processed and must then go to Academic Technology Support (ATS) in Library South to pick up your accounts. The NIS and e-mail account is usually ready within a week; the GET account takes longer to process but will be ready well before grades are due.

Access to Computers and Campus Computer Labs (back to top)

A NIS account is required to use any campus computer. There are a number of open access computer labs on campus that are available for student and faculty use. There is also a faculty lab located in Fine Arts 138. This lab not only has some of the best computer hardware and software on campus, but also offers software support and training for faculty.

Library: Location, Access, and Resources (back to top)

JFK Library, located west of King Hall, is comprised of two wings: Library North and Library South (the Palmer wing). The collection of books is unfortunately somewhat limited. However, it has extensive databases, and interlibrary loan is very efficient. Both students and faculty need a NIS account to access the databases and the library's card catalog.

Emergencies (back to top)

Reporting an Emergency

Call campus police at 911 from any campus telephone. Dial 3-6000 from your cell phone.

Difficult or Threatening Students

When a faculty member needs assistance with a difficult and/or threatening student, she or he can alert the staff using the departmental code word. The departmental code word is listed in the beginning of the term memo distributed to all faculty. For more information, consult the memo or contact the departmental staff.

Emergency Drills

Cal State LA holds regular emergency drills. Usually, you will be notified in advance. When the alarm sounds, everyone must vacate the building. You will be directed to a location away from the building by the emergency drill monitors for the building.