Workforce Development Course: Changing Lives and Building Communities
In alignment with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) of 2014, Cal State LA's College of Professional and Global Education (PaGE) is offering a three-part course, "Changing Lives and Building Communities." This program provides a unique opportunity for individuals to learn, and further develop, their Workforce Development skills through training that reinforces the WIOA's purpose -- to enable the workforce development system to more efficiently and effectively provide career pathways to Americans of all walks of life and develop a talented pool of workers for businesses of all sizes.
Taught by a team of Workforce Development professionals with an extensive background in Workforce Development planning, administration and service delivery, "Changing Lives and Building Communities" examines the Workforce Development system as the approach for building the human capital required to meet the needs of employers in diverse industries. Offered at Cal State LA's Downtown Los Angeles Campus, the course consists of three consecutive Wednesday sessions: August 3, August 10 and August 24, each from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. To earn a certificate of completion, students must complete all three sessions in their entirety.
Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Have developed the competencies needed to conduct initial intake, eligibility and assessment of adult and youth seeking jobs, and assist them in setting their career direction.
- Be able to apply skills immediately in serving their customers and working with WIOA partners.
- Have learned relevant skills to be a leader in the Workforce Development field.
While there are no admission requirements, this course is strongly recommended for professionals who are currently employed, or seeking employment, in a Workforce Development organization.
Special inaugural program price: $49.00
To register, please click here.
August 3 - Day One: Mastering Competencies for the Workforce Development Professional
- Introduction to the Workforce Development System
- Implementing WIOA Title I in California (CA): Assembly Bill 1270
- Federal and State Funding for the Local Workforce Development System
- CWDB’s Unified Strategic Workforce Development Plan
- The Local One-Stop System: America’s Job Centers of California
- Outcomes: Performance Measures
August 10 - Day Two: Initial Customer Intake and Career Navigation
- Overview of AJCC services
- Initial Services: Job Seeker Customer
- Initial Services: Youth Customer
- Initial Services: Employer Services
August 24 - Day Three: Comprehensive and Diagnostic Assessments for Individuals
- Developing Customer Relationships and Management
- Comprehensive Assessments
- Diagnostic Assessments
- Labor Market Intelligence
- Individual Career Plans