Table of Contents
The Housing Services office is located in the Phase II Community Center. Business hours are 9:00 am - 5:30 pm, Monday - Friday. Vending machines with refreshments and snacks are available next to the Lounge. As a guest, you can reserve our Lounge and/or Conference Room, available on a first-come, first-serve basis. You can pick up a Meeting Space Reservation Form at the Housing Services office or call (323) 343-4800 for more information.
The CIC is located in Phase I and contains the Game Room, Computer Lab, and on duty Resident Advisor. The Game Room contains a billiards table, ping pong table, foosball table and is a Hotspot for people who seek free wireless internet connection. A vending machine room is located at the end of the hallway with refreshments, snacks and lunch/dinner options. The Computer Lab is equipped with internet access and Microsoft Office software. In case you get locked out of your apartment and the Phase II Housing Services Office is closed, the Resident Advisor on duty can let you back into your room. The CIC is open Monday through Friday 5:00 pm – 11:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday 1:00 pm – 11:00 pm. To reach the RA on duty at the CIC, please call (323) 343-4807.
BBQ grills are located in front of the Game Room in Phase I and in the quad area of Phase II. A basketball court is located between buildings one and five in Phase II. Please check with the Housing Services Office for availability. There is also a Game Room located in Phase I. Televisions are available in the Phase II Lounge and the Game Room, check with the Housing Services office for availability. In addition, there are complimentary cable connections in every bedroom. Televisions are not provided. See the ‘Community Information Center’ section for additional information.
A variety of vending machines are located in the Phase I Community Information Center (CIC) and in Phase II. To get change or a list of vending machine items, go to the front desk in Phase I.
Parking for conference guests is located in Lot 7. Guests must have a temporary parking permit displayed in their vehicle while parked in the lot. Daily parking permits may be purchased from the yellow dispensers also located in Lot 7. The cost ranges from $1.00-$6.00.
Coin-operated machines are available for use at a cost of $1.25 per wash and $1.00 per dry. The laundry room in Phase I is located in the Community Information Center; Phase II laundry rooms are located in each building on the first floor. A change machine is located in the Community Information Center.
Computer Labs/Wireless Internet:
The campus library contains three (3) public terminals for guest use. These computers are located on the first floor of the North wing of the Library. For more information call the reference desk at (323) 343-3950.
Before using the computers on campus, guests must get a NIS account by going to the ITS Help Desk located in the Library, Palmer Wing (LIB PW) lobby. Be sure to take a valid picture ID. If you are a student at another campus, bring your student ID and proof of enrollment (or if you can access your school’s information online, you can print enrollment information while at the library). For NIS account information, please call (323) 343–6170.
Wireless Internet is available to guests at a daily rate of $10.00 for each guest account requested. If interested, please contact the Conference Coordinator stopping at the Housing Services Office or call (323) 343-4800.
Phase II has designated a bulletin board for conference guests. In the event that you receive mail, a note will be placed on the bulletin board. Please bring the note and a valid picture ID (driver’s license or passport) to the mail room to retrieve your mail and/or packages.
Your mailing address is:
Name of Conference Group
5300 Paseo Rancho Castilla
Los Angeles, CA 90032
Postal stamps are sold on campus at the Wells Fargo located in the University-Student Union room 103. For more information call (323) 224-3972.
Fax services are available for a nominal fee in the Golden Eagles Service Center (One Card office) located in the Golden Eagle Building, room 220.1. For more information please call (323) 343-6800.
Pay phones are available in four locations on campus. View a campus map.
- King Hall lobby
- Library North lobby
- Administration Building Quad (to the right of Student Affairs 101)
- Main walkway near the Administration Building
Food Court and Restaurant:
A food court is located on campus on the 1st floor of the Golden Eagle Building. The eateries include: El Pollo Loco, Carl’s Jr., Kikka Sushi, Rice Garden, Johnny’s Kitchen, Juice It Up and the University Club Restaurant. Starbucks Coffee and Sbarro are located on the 1st floor of the University-Student Union. Dolcini Café Espresso is located on the King Hall patio. Hours of operation vary. Please see page 14 for hours.
If your guest package includes linen and you are staying for more than one week, a Housing Services staff will enter the apartment to change the linens and perform a general cleaning on a weekly basis.
If something in your apartment is in need of repair, please fill out a work order request at the Phase II Housing Services Office during business hours.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Designated quiet hours are in effect Sunday through Thursday 10:00 pm - 8:00 am and Friday and Saturday 12:00 am - 8:00 am. Please be courteous when others are sleeping, studying, or requesting your cooperation for quiet. Please keep noise to a minimum.
1. The intent of this policy is neither to encourage nor to endorse the use of alcoholic beverages, but to describe the permitted and prohibited use of alcoholic beverages in the Housing Services complex. The University is committed to maintaining an environment for its students that is predominantly free of the use of alcoholic beverages and in full compliance with federal and state laws. Students, employees, or visitors who violate laws or University policies concerning alcoholic beverages shall be subject to criminal prosecution and/or institutional sanctions.
2. Alcoholic beverages are not to be consumed in public areas, such as the Community Centers, recreation areas, balconies, sidewalks, etc., except when approved as outlined in the California State University Los Angeles Administrative Procedures regarding Alcoholic Beverages (# 019). For more information visit: www.calstatela.edu/univ/admfin/procedures/019.pdf
3. Residents found in violation will be required to dispose of alcohol at the incident.
4. Alcohol container collections/decoration and/or bottle cap collections/decoration are not allowed, and are to be removed as trash. Failure to comply can result in disciplinary action.
5. Alcohol is not permitted in the First Year Housing areas.
6. Possession of visible containers, opened or closed, (e.g. cups, cans, bottles, cases/boxes, on which alcoholic beverage insignia appear) anywhere within or on grounds immediately adjacent to the Housing Services facilities except in an assigned student room when the door is closed and the alcoholic beverage cannot be detected from outside the room/suite, is prohibited. If alcohol possession or consumption can be detected from outside the room/suite, it is considered public, visible and in violation of this policy.
7. Possession of bulk alcoholic beverages, that is, amounts for storage or use that is excessive under the circumstances for personal use is prohibited. Devices used or intended for the rapid consumption of alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Kegs, cases of beer, and other beverages with an equivalent amount of alcoholic content in any form of container are considered bulk alcohol.
8. Violation of any other regulation while under the influence of alcohol is considered an additional infraction of Housing Services Regulations.
9. Inability to exercise care for one’s own safety, the safety of others or the safety of property owned by the university or residents due in whole or in part to being under the influence of alcohol is considered an infraction of Housing Services Regulations.
10. Providing, selling, or causing to be sold any alcoholic beverage to any other person is prohibited.
11. If alcohol is present, the hosting of an apartment gathering (e.g. party, celebration) where there are more than 8 people in a 2 bedroom and 16 people in a 4 bedroom is prohibited (refer to the guest policy 16.A. Hosting of multiple apartment gatherings, that is, an activity taking place primarily for the consumption of alcoholic beverages where people move from one apartment to another is prohibited. This regulation applies even if all apartments involved are within allowable guest limits.
1. As outlined in the California State University Los Angeles Administrative Procedures Manual University Smoking Policy #006 which references a concern for the health of all members of the University community, smoking is not permitted in all enclosed indoor areas on campus or in any building on campus, with the exception of specially posted smoking areas approved by the Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety Director. This includes all inside environments and exterior areas that are encompassed by the building footprint. This includes open balconies, foyers, stairway landings, rooftops and pedestrian bridges between buildings that begin and end at the building entrance/exit. Smoking is prohibited within twenty-five (25) feet of an outside entrance to a building, building opening (window, door, etc.) or mechanical ventilation system air-intake.
2. There are two designated smoking areas in the housing complex. The first is located on the west side of the Phase II Quad near the metal benches behind Building 3. The second is located in the alcove adjacent to the access road by the stairs leading to Lot 5.
3. Hookahs are prohibited in the Housing complex.
1. Emergency (on campus) 911 (From a campus phone will reach University Police or (323) 343-3700 from a cell phone)
2. Emergency (off campus) 911 (From a cell phone will reach Highway Patrol)
2. Alhambra Community Hospital (626) 570-1606
3. CSULA Health Center (323) 343-3300
4. CSULA Public Safety (323) 343-3700
5. LA Fire Department (213) 978-3800
6. USC–LA County Medical Center (323) 226-2622
For other, after hour emergencies, please visit the CSULA University Police website for additional resources at: www.calstatela.edu/univ/hlth_ctr/SHC_After-Hours.php
Public Safety/Eagle Patrol: Escort service is available 24 hours 7 days a week. Using this free service at night and when walking to parking lots or Student Housing alone, can greatly improve your personal safety. Please call (323) 343-3700 for more information.
Use the Emergency Phones (“Blue Light,” non-dial, outdoor emergency telephones) located throughout campus and in parking lots/structures. These telephones dial directly to University Police.
Resident Advisor (RA) on Duty: A Resident Advisor will be on duty each evening to provide assistance. To contact an RA during after hours, call (323) 343-4807. For more information, see ‘Community Information Center’ on page four.
As a conference guest staying with Housing Services, your safety is a priority. The housing and conference staff is trained in emergency response procedures and will work together with campus, local and state responders to act as a liaison and respond to a variety of emergencies. In case of earthquake or other multi-hazard incidents, guests must comply with the evacuation alarm and/or directions of Housing Services staff. For other emergencies, such as health, safety or environmental hazards, a CSULA staff will provide instructions on protocols.
Earthquake Preparedness Procedures:
In the event of an earthquake, please remain in your apartment and find a secure and sheltered space away from windows and glass. The proper procedure is to drop, cover and hold until the major event has subsided. Only then should you leave your building.
Based on the type of emergency, it may be necessary to evacuate buildings. Please follow instructions from CSULA or Housing Services staff. The campus uses a public address system that also provides information and instructions. This will provide you additional direction based on the type of emergency.
The evacuation site is Lot 7A. Guests will be given instructions by CSULA or Housing Services staff after arrival in this area. Remain in Parking Lot 7A until you are accounted for and/or given permission to leave the area and re-enter your apartment. A map of the evacuation is on the back cover of this booklet.
Be Prepared! A significant emergency will require the campus and community population to be self-sufficient for several days. The University strongly recommends that residents assemble emergency kits for 3-5 days with the following:
· Food (peanut butter, granola bars, ready to eat fruits and vegetables)
· Flashlight with batteries
· Necessary medication
· Paper products (toilet paper, feminine supplies)
· First aid kit
· Trash bags
· Personal hygiene products
You should also designate an emergency contact person with your family or friends. Understand that communication and travel to and from campus may be dramatically. In case of an emergency, the University has implemented a text notification system to send official emergency information directly to subscriber's cell phones. To receive these messages you would need to create an account and sign up at www.calstatela.edu/univ/police/ens.php.
We hope this information will help you prepare for a large-scale emergency. If you have specific training that would be helpful to staff during an emergency (fire fighting, EMT, rescue, etc), please identify yourself to the Housing Service staff.
1. PCA Shuttle Service (323) 343-4442
2. Alhambra Community Transit Buses (ACT) (626) 289-1220
3. Fiesta Cab (800) 592-1895
4. L.A. Taxi (213) 627-7000
5. MTA Public Transportation Buses (800) COMMUTE 266-6883
6. Super Shuttle (General Info) (323) 343-2519
7. Metrolink (800) 371-LINK (5465)
8. CSULA Commuter Services* (323) 343-5277
*CSULA Commuter Services offers free bus schedules and information on the Metrolink located on campus. For more information you can call their number or visit them. Their office is in the Department of Public Safety, Building C, located near the south end of campus.
Cal State LA offers a great deal of services for our conference guests. If you have any further questions, or would like more information, you can visit the Housing Services Office, located in Phase II, Monday through Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm or call us at (323) 343-4800.
1. Bank of America - 2400 West Commonwealth Avenue, Alhambra, (626) 453-8400
2. Cal State LA Federal Credit Union - 2445 Mariondale Avenue, Los Angeles, (323) 505-2600
3. Chase Bank - 2121 West Main Street, Alhambra, (626) 289-3244
4. Wells Fargo - University Student Union, 1st floor, room 103 (323) 224-3972
1. Alhambra Renaissance 14 - 1 East Main Street, Alhambra, (626) 300-0107
2. AMC Atlantic Time Square 14 - 450 North Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park, (626) 407-0240
3. Laemmle’s Playhouse 7 - 673 East Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, (626) 844-6500
1. The Shops at Montebello - 2134 Montebello Town Center, Montebello, (323) 722-8454
2. Santa Anita Westfield Mall - 400 South Baldwin Avenue Suite 231, Arcadia, (626) 445-6255
3. Glendale Galleria - 100 West Broadway, Suite 700, Glendale, (818) 246-6737
4. The Grove - 189 The Grove Drive, Los Angeles, (323)900-8080
Open 24 Hours
1. Carl’s Jr. - 2521 West Commonwealth Ave Alhambra, (626) 457-1133
2. IHOP - 701 South Fremont Avenue, Alhambra, (626) 284-0458
3. Denny’s - 369 West Main Street, Alhambra, (626) 281-6701
4. Jack In The Box - 2531 West Valley Boulevard, Alhambra, (626) 299-1976 (Drive-thru open 24 hours)
5. Subway - 1129 South Fremont Avenue, Alhambra, (626) 607-0138
3. CVS - 2103 South Atlantic Boulevard, Monterey Park, (323) 268-3524
4. Rite Aid - 2150 South Atlantic Boulevard, Monterey Park, (323) 726-0385
5. 7-Eleven - 2150 South Fremont Avenue, Alhambra, (626) 282-8378
Eateries on Campus
These hours are subject to change. For the latest updated hours, please call UAS at (323)343-6770 or visit their website www.universityauxiliaryservices.org/foodservices
Golden Eagle Building
Mon - Thurs: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm Fri: 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
El Pollo Loco
Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Mon - Thurs: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm and every other Friday
Juice It Up:
Mon - Thurs: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Fri: 9:00 am- 3:00 pm
Mon - Thurs: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Fri: 8:00 am- 3:00pm
Mon - Thurs: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Reservations: (323) 343-6777
Mon - Thurs: 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
University - Student Union
Mon - Fri: 10:00 am -7:00 pm
Mon - Thurs: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Fri7:00am- 3:00 pm
King Hall Patio
Mon - Thurs: 7:00 am – 8:00 pm
Dolcini Café Espresso
Mon - Thurs: 7:00 am – 8:00 pm
Fri: 7:00 am – 1:30 pm
Sat: 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Salazar Hall, First Floor
Dolcini Café Espresso
Mon - Thurs: 7:00 am – 7:00 pm Fri 7am– 1 pm