Notice of Privacy Practices
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
The Student Health Center is required by law to protect the privacy of your medical information, information that identifies you, payment for heatlh care provided to you, how we keep your personal and health information private and our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to information we collect and maintain about you.
The Student Health Center is required by law to provide you with this Notice of Privacy Practices explaining our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to medical information. We are legally required to follow the terms of this Notice.
We may change the terms of this Notice in the future and reserve the right to make changes and to make the new Notice effective for all medical information that we maintain. If changes are made to the Notice the Student Health Center will:
- Post the new Notice in our waiting area;
- Have copies of the new Notice available upon request (A copy of the current privacy notice may be obtained by clicking on Notice of Privacy Practices. Copies are also available throughout the Student Health Center. Copies may also be requested by calling 323-343-3300.); and
- Post the new Notice on the CSULA Student Health Center Website.
The remainder of this Notice will:
- Discuss how we may use and disclose medical information about you;
- Explain your rights with respect to medical information about you;
- Describe how and where you may file a privacy-related complaint.
If you have questions about information in this Notice or about our privacy policies, procedures, or practices, you can contact our Privacy Officer at (323) 343-3336.
Each time you visit the Student Health Center a record of your health information is created. The Student Health Center may use and/or disclose your health information for the following purposes: Protected Health Information (PHI) is all the information regarding your health care at the Student Health Center, health care information given to the Student Health Center at your request by other providers, and health care billing information. Generally, it is the information in your medical and/or mental health record and computer data stored in the Student Health Center MedPro and Point and Click systems.
Disclosure of Protected Health Information is done only after you have given written authorization. You may cancel your consent at any time by notifying the Student Health Center in writing.
The Student Health Center may use or disclose your Protected Health Information under certain circumstances without your consent, such as:
- Mandatory disease reporting;
- Emergency situations;
- Subpoena or court order;
- Your health care provider cannot get consent due to substantial barriers in communication, and the health care provider determines that your consent is inferred from the circumstances;
- Mandatory reporting of criminal acts, such as abuse; and
- Medical record review for internal quality assessment purposes.
If other applicable law prohibits or limits use or disclosure of your Protected Health Information, the Student Health Center will follow the more stringent law.
You have the right to:
- Restrict the use of your Protected Health Information. However, the Student Health Center may choose to refuse your restriction if it is in conflict of providing you with quality health care or in the event of an emergency situation;
- Receive confidential communication about your Protected Health Information;
- Inspect and be provided a copy of your Protected Health Information, unless this might be harmful to you or to others;
- Request amendments of your Protected Health Information;
- Receive an accounting of disclosures of Protected Health Information; and
- Complain to the Student Health Center if you believe your privacy rights have been violated. If you wish to file a complaint, you may contact the Student Health Center Director at 323-343-3342. There will be no retaliation of any kind against you by the Student Health Center for filing such a complaint. All complaints will be investigated.
The Student Health Center will abide by the terms of this notice and will maintain the confidentiality of all Protected Health Information.