Our services are organized below as three basic steps in the career planning process. You can either start at the beginning and go through them in order, or go directly to the step you want to learn more about.
Students who are fully matriculated and currently enrolled at Cal State LA, and Cal State LA alumni are eligible to use all career center services on a space available basis with priority given to students. Documentation of status will be requested at time of service.
2) Know Where to Go - It requires time and effort to learn about the world of work, specific jobs, and careers. We can teach you how, and provide tools.
HOW TO DO IT
- CareerExpress - An array of meaningful and user-friendly online resources to help you determine career paths. View the Self Assessment (Focus 2) and Career Research (such as What Can I Do With This Major?) sections. Use Candid Career and the Occupational Outlook Handbook to learn about specific jobs in an industry you are interested in. You can watch the Candid Career videos at home or in a private room at the career center.
- Internships - The best way to learn about a job and industry is to do an internship. It also looks great on your résumé and makes you much more employable. (requires student registration in Handshake)
- Cal State LA Career Mentoring Program - Talk to alumni and other professionals who have volunteered to offer themselves as resources for career development (requires student registration in Handshake)
- Career Center Resource Library - The career center has hundreds of books on career topics. Come in and explore.