What is Handshake?
Handshake is a career-services site where college students and alumni can search for jobs and internships, connect with employers and sign up for career events.
With Handshake, you can apply for multiple jobs and get updates on the status of your applications. It’s also great for networking with peers and employers.
Sign up for your Handshake account at http://calstatela.joinhandshake.com.
- Students – Use your Cal State LA email.
- Alumni – Use a personal email. We will activate your Handshake account after you send a copy of your Cal State LA Alumni Association membership card to email@example.com. If you do not have one, email the Alumni Association.
Returning users - Log in at https://calstatela.joinhandshake.com/login.
Download the Handshake app from the App Store or Google Play. Login and kick off your college-to-career journey.
If you have questions or are unsure about joining, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with a career advisor.
Complete your Handshake profile
A complete profile is key to a successful job search. Your profile lets employers know if you have the education and skills they're looking for. It tells Handshake the types of jobs and internships you want to see in your feed.
Keep your education and interests up to date:
- Major – Employers prefer certain majors.
- School Year – Employers are less likely to interview you if your school year (e.g., junior, senior, masters, alumni) does not match their preferences.
- GPA – Some industries require above a certain GPA.
- Job Type – Select internship, part-time job or full-time job. You can choose more than one.
- Location – Select cities where you would like to work, and Handshake will show you jobs in that area.
- Job Role – Choose at least three jobs you would like to explore (e.g., marketing associate or software engineer).
Make your profile public so recruiters can find you. If you would like help completing your profile, contact us at email@example.com to connect with a career advisor.
Apply for jobs
Apply easily – On Handshake, you can apply for jobs in two clicks with Quick Apply. You can store your résumés and other documents so they are ready when you need them.
No more wondering – Handshake will send you updates on your application status.
Register for career events and fairs
Workshops – Register for career workshops under the Events tab. Topics include résumés and cover letters, job interviews, networking with professionals and searching for jobs and internships.
Join employer events – Employers regularly host info sessions and other events online. Do not miss the opportunity to connect with them.
Connect with your career community
Leverage an engaged community of peers, alumni and employers to get the information you are looking for.
Reviews – Find the best places to work according to your classmates. Compare opportunities across thousands of companies.
Q&A – Make the right career decisions with information from your classmates. Ask the community career-related questions.
Peer messaging – Ask real students real questions. Tap into a network of experienced students and alumni to get relevant advice on your career journey.