Caution: This is general information only and should not be taken as tax or legal advice; please contact the IRS or a tax professional for tax preparation advice. The University cannot provide assistance regarding your eligibility or the calculation of the credits.
1098-T Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- What is the form 1098-T?
- Can I receive the form electronically?
- Can I receive both a printed form and also have it available electronically?
- When will my form be available?
- Can my Form 1098-T be sent directly to my parent(s), other persons who may claim me as a dependent or to my tax preparer?
- What do the boxes signify?
- What are qualified educational expenses?
- What are reasons why I would NOT receive a 1098-T form?
- Is my financial aid reported on the 1098-T form?
- I am a recipient of a GI Bill ® paid by the VA. How are the GI Bill ®tuition and stipend payment amounts reported on a Form 1098-T?
- The name on the Form 1098-T is incorrect or has been changed, how can I get it corrected?
- The address on the Form 1098-T is incorrect or has been changed, how can I get it corrected?
- How do I provide my social security number to Cal State L.A.?
- How do I provide my Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to Cal State L.A.?
- What does the IRS consider eligible for educational tax benefits?
- Do international students need a 1098-T?
- Where can I get additional information regarding the 1098-T form?
1098-T Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Form 1098-T is an annual IRS form California State University, Los Angeles provides of student-related educational costs for annual income tax returns. The form summarizes qualified tuition and fees for the calendar year (January 1 thru December 31). This information is also used for student eligibility for the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, or other educational tax benefits.
DISCLAIMER: The following general information should not be taken as tax or legal advice. California State University, Los Angeles cannot provide tax service with these reporting forms. For tax preparation advice, please consult your tax advisor.
For reporting purposes, California State University, Los Angeles is required to have the student’s Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
Yes. You can receive the 1098-T form electronically by following the steps below:
- Log onto your GET account.
- Click on the Student Self Services link.
- Then click on Student Center.
- In the Finance heading go to “other financial,” click on the drop down arrow and then select “View 1098-T,” click on >> GO.
- Select the Tab “Account Services,” click “GRANT CONSENT” button.
- Upon reading agreement, check the “Yes, I have read the agreement” checkbox.
- Click on the “SUBMIT” button.
- A consent confirmation will appear and you will then be able to click on the “VIEW 1098-T SELECTION” button.
No. Once you have granted consent to receive the form electronically, this year’s form and all future 1098-T forms will be available online only. If you want to revoke your consent and have your forms mailed, please contact Student Financial Services, at (323) 343-5357.
Your 1098-T form will be accessible electronically by January 22, 2018 if you have already granted consent (see FAQ #2).
Forms will be mailed to students who did not “GRANT CONSENT” to the mailing address on record with the University.
As required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99), California State University, Los Angeles or its personnel cannot provide this information directly to parents, other persons who may claim the student as a dependent, or tax preparers. If you are claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return (such as your parent's return), please give your Form 1098-T and Supplemental Information directly to that person.
Attention Parents: If you need to obtain a Form 1098-T for your child, your child must provide the University permission for you to receive a mailed copy. The Form 1098-T can be provided only after a Consent Form is completed by the student and filed with Student Financial Services located in Administration Building Room 140.
Box 1: Payment received for qualified tuition and related expenses: Per instructions from the IRS, the University is required to report either payments or qualified tuition and fees charges. Cal State L.A. reports tuition and fees payments.
Box 2: Per instruction from the IRS, California State University, Los Angeles reports payments applied to tuition and fee charges. No charges will be posted in Box 2.
Box 3: Change in reporting methods: Not applicable.
Box 4: Adjustments made for a prior year: Shows any adjustments made for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year Form 1098-T.
Box 5: Scholarships or grants: This box reports scholarships, grants (not loans) and third-party payments posted to your account during the calendar year 2018. Scholarships, grants and third-party payments are listed in this box whether paid to you directly or applied to your tuition and fees charges.
Box 6: Adjustments to scholarships or grants: Shows adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year.
Box 7: This box is checked if any amount in Box 2 is for the academic period January 2019 (Winter Quarter 2019). Often, tuition and fees for the winter term are paid in the previous calendar year although, the charges will not be posted until January 2019.
Box 8: This box is checked if the student has enrolled at least half time (4 units for graduates, 6 units for undergraduates) for at least one semester during 2018.
Box 9: This box is checked if the student was a graduate student or in a credential program at any time during 2018.
- Tuition and fees and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.
- Health Facilities
- Associated Student Body (ASB)
- University–Student Union
- Instructionally Related Activities
- Student Health Services
- Tuition Fee
- Non-resident Tuition Fee
- Professional Program Fee
- Books and supplies required for course instruction. (Caution: Since the University cannot track amounts paid for books and supplies, no amount for books and supplies will be on the 1098-T form. Please keep your receipts for these items).
Qualified tuition and related expenses do not include the following types of expenses:
- Room and board
- Insurance premiums or medical expenses
- Other personal, living or family expenses
- Cal State L.A. does not have your SSN or ITIN. This information is required for 1098-T reporting (make sure that you provided the University with this information).
- Cal State L.A. does not have your valid address.
- There were no eligible payment/charges for the calendar year 2018.
- If you attended only in winter 2018, your charges may have been reported on your 2017 1098-T form.
Scholarships and grants are reported in Box 5 on the 1098-T. Loans are NOT reported on the 1098-T.
Per IRS Publication 970, payments you receive for education, training or subsistence under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are tax free. However, for U.S. tax reporting purposes, GI Bill ® recipients are issued a Form 1098-T from the University reflecting the total tuition and fee payments by multiple sources (including GI Bill ® paid by VA), not just items personally paid out-of-pocket. The amounts of GI Bill ® benefits designated for tuition and fees do not count as qualified payments against federal education tax credits.
GI Bill ® payments consist of tuition and a subsistence portion. From the total amounts on the Form 1098-T, GI Bill ® recipients have to reduce the portion of their tuition paid by the amount of their GI Bill ® benefits that were designated for tuition.
To correct or change your name, complete a Name Change Form in the Office of Admissions and Recruitment located at the Student Affairs Building Room 101. One of the following original, current documents is accepted as proof:
- Adoption/Birth Certificate
- Marriage License
- Divorcee Decree
- Alien Registration Card
- Court Order showing legal name change
- Naturalization Certificate
Upon this completed correction, an updated Form 1098-T will be generated online. For more information, call (323) 343-5357.
To correct or change your address, log into your GET account and update your mailing address. If you no longer have access to your GET account, please contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment at (323) 343-3901.
Complete a SSN Change form in the Office of Admissions and Recruitment, Student Affairs Building Room 101 and bring both:
- Original Social Security card
- Cal State L.A. Student I.D.
Bring the original documentation the IRS provided to you to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment, Student Affairs Building Room 101.
Generally international students cannot claim the tax education credit; although some students are eligible if they are deemed to be Resident Aliens for tax purposes under the substantial presence test. For additional information, please contact the IRS or your individual tax consultant for assistance.
If you have questions specific to the data provided by Cal State L.A. on your 1098-T, you can:
- Call: (323) 343-5357
- Email: email@example.com
- Visit: Administration Bldg. Room 140
For information regarding filing your taxes and benefit eligibility, please contact a tax consultant or the IRS at 1-800-829-1040, or go to www.irs.gov.