The Physics and Astronomy Club (PAC)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real.
Join us for nerdy gatherings, problem solving, lab tours, and stargazing trips!
- Cheese the Day! End-of-Year Physics Celebration! Friday, May 17th @ 6pm, Desano Pizza Bakery: 4959 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles 90029
- Physics Potluck at Harry & Jenny's House, Saturday, May 18th @ 5pm, 244 Sycamore Drive, San Gabriel 91775
- Weekly club meetings every Tuesday @ noon in BIOS 276! - Help us plan fun events!
- Weekly Journal Club every Wednesday @ 3:15pm in BIOS 246 - Learn how to read research articles! See link in main menu.
- Weekly gatherings every Thursday @ 7:30pm at La Chuperia #2: 3702 Medford Street 90063 :)
- Weekly colloquia every Thursday @ 3pm in BIOS 335 featuring experts on a wide variety of physics and astrophysics topics. See link in main menu.
- Homework Help Club every weekday during the fall and spring semesters! See link in main menu.
See all of our events on Google Calendar!
April 27: Field trip to the Natural History Museum
April 26: Here We Come! Outreach Event for local elementary school students
April 23: Election of 2019-2020 PAC officers
Our 2019-2020 PAC officers! From left: Jayden Butler (Treasurer), Samavarti Gallardo (Archivist), Bhavna Nayak (Public Relations), Luis Valencia (Vice President), Rob Tejada (President).
April 16: 4th Annual Physics Alumni Banquet featuring a lecture by Dr. Mohammad Pourhomayoun on artifical intelligence
March 26: Women in Science Trivia at the library!
March 20: Outreach event for Pacoima Middle School students in the Physics Exploratorium (BIOS 261)
March 15: Outreach event for 4th & 5th graders from Bradoaks Elementary School in the Physics Exploratorium (BIOS 261)
March 12: Pi (minus the floor of e/100) Day Fundraiser
March 9-10: Star Party & Camping @ Joshua Tree National Park
February 26: 1st Excited State Party!
February 22: 27th Annual RSCA Symposium at Cal State LA
Brandon Hilliard, Jayden Butler, John DeVries, Carey Weisberg, and Roberto Tejada presented their astrophysics research.
Bhavna Nayak, Mary Becker, Professor Harry Themann, Eric Robinson, John Tamkin, and Professor Marina Mondin presented their LIGO research.
February 7: Weekly gathering at La Chuperia #2
December 11: Holiday Party at DeSano Pizza Bakery
November 15: Physics & Astronomy Awareness Day
Silverio Delgado, Jayden Butler, Carey Weisberg, Hope Hamamoto, and Bhavna Nayak manning the table.
Lots of visitors to the Physics Awareness Day table!
November 10: Private tour of Mount Wilson Observatory hosted by the Cal State LA Physics Alumni Group!
October 31: Halloween Movie Night!
Party-goers Professor Harry Themann (Cal State LA alumnus), Eric Sosa, Carey Weisberg, Hope Hamamoto, John DeVries, Elizabeth Metzler-Winslow, Bhavna Nayak, Jayden Butler, Wendy Mira, and Silverio Delgado.
- September 5: New Student Welcome Party!
- August 31: 626 Night Market in Santa Anita Park, Arcadia, CA
- August 3: Cal State LA Night @ Dodgers Stadium
- Below: Physics Master's students Michael Shah and Greta O'Dea took part in the Cal State LA PREM Program, a partnership with Penn State's Center for Nanoscale Science, an NSF Materials Research Science & Engineering Center.
- Below left: Dr. Thomas Mallouk (left), Penn State Professor of Chemistry, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Physics, Engineering Science, and Mechanics, and Michael Shah do research wearing cool shades.
- Below right: The entire group of 2018 PREM summer students, including two Golden Eagles from Cal State LA!
- Below: July 14-22: Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) meeting, Pasadena, CA
- Cal State LA physics Master's students Brandon Hillard (left) and Héctor Delgado (right) attended the meeting. With them is Dr. Neal Turner, Group Supervisor of Interstellar and Heliospheric Physics at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Cañada Flintridge, CA.
- Below: Cal State LA students (from left) John DeVries, Liz Flores-Rivera, Carey Weisberg, Jayden Butler, Elizabeth Metzler-Winslow, and Matthew Vogel were selected for a 10-week internship at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Cañada Flintridge, CA.
June 3-7: American Astronomical Society conference, Denver, CO
Recent Cal State LA graduate Liz Flores-Rivera (M.S. Physics), physics Master's student John DeVries, Astronomy Professor Susan Terebey, undergraduate math major Elizabeth Metzler-Winslow, and physics Master's student Carey Weisberg represent Cal State LA at the 232nd AAS Conference in Denver, CO.
May 24: Graduation
Happy new physics Master's-holders Ronald Melendrez, Morgan Shaner, Ariana Valdez, Xavier Talbot-Thiebaux, and Liz Flores-Rivera.
New physics Bachelor's degree-holders Jessica Romero, Samavarti Gallardo, and Tracey Ting Ng at the graduation ceremony.
May 19: End-of-Year Physics Department BBQ at Professor Harry Themann's House
- April 19: Cal State LA Physics Alumni Panel Discussion about "Life After the Degree" featuring (from left):
- Bing Jiang, Founder of Rolling Robots
- Steve Castaneda, RF Engineering Management
- Dr. Harry Themann, Cal State LA Professor
- C.J. Salgado, Health Physicist
- Carey Weisberg, moderator
March 16: Stargazing Party at Joshua Tree National Park
- March 15: 3rd Annual Physics Alumni Banquet featuring a lecture by Cal State LA alumna Dr. Linda Spilker of JPL on "Surprises in the Saturn System: Cassini Mission Highlights" followed by dinner
- March 5-9: American Physical Society (APS) Conference, Los Angeles, CA
- Below (from top): Physics Master's students Michael Goff, Morgan Shaner, and Medhanie Estiphanos presented their research at the APS conference.
December 11: End-of-Semester Physics Department Dinner at Akbar Cuisine of India, Pasadena, CA
- September 21: Lecture by Nobel Laureate Dr. Barry Barish on "The 100-Year Odyssey from Einstein to Gravitational Waves"
- August 21: Solar eclipse campus viewing party
- May 15: Stargazing Party on Red Box Road near Mount Wilson Observatory
- Below: Physics Master's students Morgan Shaner, Ronald Melendrez, and Carey Weisberg enjoy setting up the telescope.
April 20: 2nd Annual Physics Alumni Banquet featuring a lecture by Caltech professor Dr. Heather A. Knutson on "The Transit Method of Exoplanet Detection"
- March 2: Cal State LA Physics Alumni Panel Discussion about Careers in Physics featuring:
- Carl Heft, Real Estate Finance
- Shirley Mims, Earth System Science Research
- Bing Jiang, Children's Robotics
- C.J. Salgado, Health Physicist
- Steve Castaneda, Technology Development