About Golden KeyWhat is Golden Key?
Golden Key International Honour Society, founded on 29 November 1977, is an academic honor society which recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement and excellence among college and university students from all academic disciplines. In an effort to reflect the Society's diversity and international presence, Golden Key uses the globally accepted spelling of "honour" in its name.
Golden Key has emerged as one of the most dynamic, forward-thinking organizations in higher education. Committed to an ethos of recognizing academic achievement and encouraging altruistic service, the Society's on-campus presence has reached over 390 chapters at colleges and universities worldwide.
The Society offers its members over $1,000,000 (USD) annually through numerous scholarship and award programs. Members are also connected to exclusive career opportunities and assistance through Golden Key's partnerships with major corporations and graduate programs. The Society provides campus and community service opportunities enabling personal growth and leadership development as well as collaborating with university faculty and administrators to develop and maintain high standards of education.
Mission, Pillars, Vision & Values
Golden Key is a mission focused, values based and demographics driven organization. With 34 years of rich tradition, Golden Key remains committed to academics, leadership and service. Our mission defines who we are; our core values provide us guidance in executing our activities and our history reminds us that more than two million members are counting on us to shape the future through our strategic planning process.
Mission: To enable members to realize their potential through the advancement of academics, leadership and service.
Pillars: Academics, Leadership, Service
Vision: Golden Key is the world's premier honor society. We recognize academic excellence and provide tangible value to our members, advisors and partners while positively impacting their lives and society.
Values: Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Respect, Diversity, Excellence, Engagement.
How to Become a Member
Eligible Cal State LA students are mailed an invitation every March. However, since eligible students can join anytime during the year, and since the March mailing occasionally misses eligible students, interested students can pursure membership by contacting an advisor or officer.
Requirements for Golden Key CSULA Chapter:
- Undergraduate students must be currently enrolled and must have completed atleast 36 units at CSULA with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Graduate or Credential students must be currently enrolled and must have completed atleast 24 units at CSULA with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Undergraduates who have transferred from a four-year college or university are not required to be enrolled at CSULA for 3 quarters, but must be able to prove a 3.3+ GPA from the previously enrolled institution.
- If you have become a Golden Key member at a previous school, contact Golden Key headquarters at www.goldenkey.org to transfer your membership tp Cal State LA.
Noted Honorary Members
The Society is pleased to have more than 20,000 Honorary members involved with the Society. Honorary members are elected by local Golden Key chapters and are individuals who are active on campus or in the community. These Honorary members reflect the qualities and values of Golden Key members and are active in areas of scholarship, leadership or service. Some of our Honorary members include:
- Jaime Escalante, Award Winning Mathematics Educator
- Roberta Bondar, Canada's First Female Astronaut
- Bill Cosby, Entertainer
- Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu (Nobel Peace Prize Laureate)
- Ronald W. Reagan, Former US President
- Ian Thorpe, Olympic Gold Medalist
- Elie Wiesel, Nobel Laureate and Author
- Dr. Betty Siegel - Chair of the Siegel Institute for Leadership, Ethics & Character; President Emeritus at Kennesaw State University
- Riaan Manser - Solo adventurer and motivational speaker
- Clem Sunter - Professional speaker, scenario planner and author
- Nicol David - No.1 women's squash player in the world
- Her Excellency Quentin Bryce - Governor General of Australia
- Professor Patrick McGorry - Australian of the Year 2010
- Richard Daley - Mayor of Chicago
- Eddie Sutton - Former Men's Basketball Coach at Oklahoma State
- Dolly Parton - Entertainer
- Ted Stevens - Former U.S. Senator
- Donny Osmond - Entertainer
- Julian Bond - Civil Rights Activist
- Joseph P. Kennedy II - Former member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Thomas Menion - Mayor of Boston
- Tim Tebow - Current member of the Denver Broncos
- Tom Allen - Former member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Stephen King - Bestselling Author
- Mike Krzyzewski - Men's Basketball Coach at Duke University
- Bobby Bowden - Former Head Football Coach at Florida State University
- Charlie Crist - Former Governor of Florida
- Jim Perdue - Chairman of Perdue Farms
- Myron Rolle - Rhodes Scholar and current member of the NFL's Tennessee Titans