Microsoft Forefront is a family of line-of-business security software by Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft Forefront products are designed to help protect computer networks, network servers (such as Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SharePoint Server) and individual devices such as desktops and laptops.
On-campus, updating Microsoft Forefront Protection for PCs and connected laptops is handled automatically by a local server; on-campus you need not run a manual update. However, if off-campus you have an University Windows computer (usually a laptop), you will need to manually run Forefront update.
- In the tray at the bottom right contains the Forefront Icon. Double-click the icon.
- The home page of Forefront will appear as a popup. Select the Update tab to see if you are up-to-date.
- In the Update tab, if your Virus and spyware definitions are more than 7 days old, you are likely out-of-date. Click Update.
- If you get an error or the update function fails to work, you may need to download the updates via the web. You will need to know if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit. Start → Control Panel → System will give you the following. Check under "System type" for 32-bit or 64-bit.
To download the Microsoft Forefront Client Security, the Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010, or the Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection anti-malware definition update file (Mpam-fe.exe) for 32-bit (x86-based) versions of Windows, click the following link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342&clcid=0x409
To download the Microsoft Forefront Client Security, Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 or Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection anti-malware definition update filefor 64-bit versions of Windows, click the following link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87341&clcid=0x409i.
- The download will appear as a popup. Save it then run it as an administrator (you will need to input your administrator account password). If you need assistance, your ITC (its/helpdesk/itcs.php) should be able to help.