Peter Quan became the vice president for Information Technology Services and chief technology officer for Cal State L.A. in January 2003, providing overall administrative direction for technology, information assets and information security in support of the University's strategic plan and technology needs.
As the chief technology officer for the campus, the vice president serves on the President's Executive Officers' Council where he provides advice and counsel on information technology to all University divisions. Peter Quan serves as co-chair of the campus Accessible Technology Initiative committee, and as a member of the Enrollment Management Steering Committee and the Resource Allocation Advisory Committee. Mr. Quan is also the campus designee to the California State University (CSU) Information Technology Advisory Committee, which reviews and evaluates technology initiatives for the CSU system.
Mr. Quan, at Cal State L.A. since 1986, previously served as associate vice president for Information Resources Management from 1993-2002. In this capacity, he was responsible for the strategic management of information technology and served as Information Resources Management Program Designee (IRMPD) for the campus.
The vice president:
- Develops and executes the campus IT strategy in alignment with the University's mission.
- Ensures the delivery of effective, efficient, sustainable and secure IT infrastructures, administrative systems, applications and services.
- Supports cross-divisional initiatives related to academic priorities, student success, online learning, and retention and graduation of students.
- Coordinates and leads the campus in accordance with CSU IT initiatives.
- Develops fiscal and personnel resource allocation plans.
- Guides the campus in compliance with all technology and information security governing laws, regulations, policies, standards and guidelines.
- Develops and enforces IT policies and procedures.
- Administers the ITS Technical Disaster Recovery Plan and the ITS Business Continuity Plan.