Adobe Creative Suite
The Adobe Creative Suite project supports expanded access to applications technologies for our students. The latest version of Adobe Creative Suite 6 has been deployed to campus desktops to provide student access to this important and costly software application. The Adobe software suite is the industry standard for digital web design and graphic arts. It now resides in the Open Access Labs (OALs), Electronic Classrooms (ECs) and Technology Enhanced Classrooms (TECs) campus wide.
Adobe Creative Suite 6 showcases the following features in its most common applications:
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended - Delivers all the imaging magic in Photoshop CS6 plus 3D graphic design and image analysis tools. Intuitively create stunning 3D artwork and vibrant videos with some of the world's best imaging software. Edit images with exceptional precision. And design anything imaginable - at amazing speed.
- Adobe Illustrator CS6 - The industry's premier vector-drawing environment for designing across media. Users can express their vision with shapes, color, effects and typography-driven by the new Mercury Performance System that makes fast work of most complex creations.
- Adobe InDesign CS6 - A versatile desktop publishing application that gives users pixel-perfect control over design and typography. Create elegant and engaging pages for print, screens and tablets. Easily adapt layouts to look great on a variety of devices.
- Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 - Enables users to create cutting-edge web designs and mobile apps while generating clean HTML5 and CSS3 code. Use the fluid grid layout system to build projects for tablets, smartphones and desktops. Add rich typography and CSS3 transitions to deliver more engaging experiences. Check designs with Live View and Multiscreen Preview.
- Adobe Flash Professional CS6 - A powerful authoring environment for creating animation and multimedia content. Design immersive interactive experiences that present consistently across desktops and multiple devices - including tablets, smartphones and televisions.
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro - Leading software for creating, reading and managing PDF documents. This application provides many improved and automated features designed to increase productivity. Users will experience improved accessibility, resources management, document organization, automation, scanning, collaboration, oversight and perusal, portability and security.
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - A powerful professional nonlinear video editing software with customizable interface. It has smoother, more universal workflow, expanded multi-camera editing, RED epic & Scarlet-X support, enhanced 64-Bit Mercury playback engine, improved 3-way color corrector, rolling shutter repair and warp stabilizer for reducing shake.
- Adobe After Effects CS6 - A professional motion graphics software with tight integration with other Adobe Apps. It adds performance enhancement such as Global Performance Cache to increase responsiveness, a 3D camera tracker to track elements in a 3D space with complete control over depth of field, and easy creation of extruded text and shapes.
- Adobe Audition CS6 - Offers high-performance, intuitive tools for audio editing, mixing, restoration and effects. It offers powerful new features such as real-time stretching, automatic speech alignment and control surface support.
Digital media creation is expanding into the learning environment, and more faculty are incorporating media into classroom assignments and presentations. With broader availability of the application, more students will have access to the tool, which will enable more timely completion of class assignments that require digital media creation. The creative aspects of the Adobe suite can inspire students to approach learning and class projects in new, previously untried ways. An individual Adobe Creative Suite license costs $600, so students will have access to the tool without incurring additional student expenses.
How Do I Get Started?
The applications included in Adobe Creative Suite can be launched from systems in any Open Access Lab (OAL), Electronic Classroom (EC), Technology Enhanced Classroom (TEC) or the Library.
Information regarding available training is available at:
Each quarter ITS will update the status of the following three measurements:
|Technical implementation||Status of the implementation and any subsequent upgrades or updates. New enhancements as they become available for students|
|Perception of value and usefulness||(We welcome your feedback on the Adobe Creative Suite project, as well as any of the other five student success fee projects. Click on "Contact ITS" at the bottom of any ITS web page to submit feedback.)|
|Quantitative Data Analysis||Usage data, traffic data or other quantitative data that outlines trends or provides a measurement of success.|
Technical Implementation Status
Installation of the Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium 6 was completed on a majority of student-use campus desktops by September 17, 2012. A total of 1,286, or 73%, of student use computers were upgraded in time for the start of fall quarter.
The current status of installations of Adobe Creative Suite is:
- 100% of the computers in five Open Access Labs
- 100% of the computers in three Smart Rooms
- 100% of the computers in the Technology Enhanced Classrooms
- 100% of the computers in the Baseline Electronic Classrooms
- 100% of the computers in the four ITS training rooms
- 92%, or 160 computers, in the Library
Some portions of this Adobe suite require that computers have a 64-bit operating system and, during installation, ITS discovered computers that required an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. This was often due to faculty teaching materials created in Adobe CS4 that were awaiting a conversion to CS6. In these cases, Adobe version 4 was installed as a temporary measure. During the fall quarter break, initial work was done to upgrade these operating systems to 64-bit and install Adobe CS6 on the remaining student desktop computers on campus.
What's Coming Next
ITS will continue work with all six college ITCs to identity and install the software in department satellite labs. Any departments with satellite labs that still require the upgrade to Adobe CS6 can contact their ITC for installation.
Some students may prefer to purchase a perpetual license for their personal computers. The Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium (Select Higher Ed Schools Only) package is available for CSULA students at a special pricing of $359.95. Interested students can purchase the software at www.journeyed.com/select.
No user feedback has been submitted to date.
Quantitative Data Analysis
The charts below show usage of the various products within Adobe Creative Suite during fall quarter 2012.
Chart one shows the number of times each of the Adobe Creative Suite products was used, grouped by the type of facility: Open Access Lab (OAL), Electronic Classroom (EC), Technology Enhanced Classroom (TEC) or the Library.
Chart two shows the number of hours each of the Adobe Creative Suite products was used during the quarter, grouped by the type of facility: Open Access Lab (OAL), Electronic Classroom (EC), Technology Enhanced Classroom (TEC) or the Library.