Want to live on campus again next year? Below you’ll find information about how to do so. Please note that all correspondence from our office regarding Room Selection will be sent to your Cal State LA email. (If you’ve forwarded your Cal State LA emails to a personal account, make sure they haven’t landed in your “junk” folder.)
What is Room Selection?
Room Selection is a process for current residents to submit a License Agreement (application) in order to be entered in a lottery for a space to live on campus next year. Because spaces are limited, Room Selection is done by lottery and not guaranteed. Returning residents, chosen from the lottery, get to “select” their space for the next academic year (including summer), prior to first-year residents.
Does everyone who applies to live on campus get assigned a space?
No. In order to accommodate first-year students, a limited number of spaces are available for returning residents for the 2017-2018 school year.
What do you mean by “lottery”?
Because we cannot accommodate everyone who wants to live on campus, we’re doing a lottery for returning residents. That means that you’ll submit a License Agreement (application). From the applications we receive, we’ll randomly select who will get to live on campus. Not everyone will get a space. Those who do not get chosen through the lottery will be placed on a waitlist. We’ll send the results to your Cal State LA email.
Who is eligible to submit a License Agreement to enter the lottery for a space to live on campus?
If you’d like to be entered in the lottery, you must be:
- A current resident.
- In good academic standing with the University.
- In good economic standing with the University and Housing and Residence Life.
- In good judicial standing with the University and Housing and Residence Life.
If this is the third or fourth year you have lived on campus, you will not be able to reapply.
Should I enter the lottery even if I’m not sure about my plans for next year?
We recommend you submit a License Agreement to be part of the lottery even if you’re unsure about your plans for next year. You can cancel your assignment up to 30 days before your move-in date and receive a full refund (minus the $40 application fee).
What are the steps of Room Selection?
- The License Agreement will be available on the Housing Portal Wednesday, February 15 until Tuesday, February 28.
- Apply online:
- Submit the License Agreement to the Housing Portal.
- When redirected to CashNet, pay the $140 fee online. (That’s a $40 application fee and $100 security deposit. If you do not want to live on campus next year, submit the Cancellation and Request to Refund form.)
- You may pay by cash or check at the Cashier’s Office, but you must submit a copy of your receipt to the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance: Bring a TB Questionaire to the Health Center and submit the orange TB clearance receipt to the Housing and Residence Life Office by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 7.
- If you want to live on campus this summer, you will need to submit a Summer 2017 License Agreement with an additional $140. (Submit the License Agreement for the 2016-2017 academic year.)
- We’ll review all submissions for eligibility.
- All the eligible applications will be entered into a lottery.
- We’ll share the lottery results with you in early March. Some people will be able to select a space and others will be placed on a waitlist.
- If we offer you a space, you’ll select it at a specific time based on your lottery number through the Housing Portal.
- After you have selected your room, submit the first payment installment of $500 by Monday, April 10, 2017. Please note that if you receive enough money from financial aid to cover your housing fees, you also must submit a copy of your 2017-2018 Award Summary to the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
What if I get placed on the waitlist?
We’ll notify you by email if you’re placed on a waitlist. Once a spot opens up, we’ll inform you by email and you’ll have 72 hours to submit payment and Tuberculosis documentation. For this reason, once you learn you’re on the waitlist, we recommend you to get everything ready.
If I live on campus this summer am I guaranteed a space for the academic year?
No. If you’re taking classes this summer and want to live on campus, you’ll need to submit a Summer 2017 License Agreement with the initial payment of $140 (use the License Agreement for the 2016-2017 academic year). Living on campus during the summer does not guarantee a space for the academic year 2017-2018.
What if I want to cancel?
In order to receive a full refund (minus the $40 application fee), you’ll need to submit a Cancellation Request Form to the Office of Housing and Residence Life at least 30 days before the beginning of semester. Here are the deadlines to cancel:
- Summer cancellation deadline: Wednesday, April 19, 2017
- Fall cancellation deadline: Wednesday, July 20, 2017
What do I need to read before submitting my License Agreement?
We recommend you review the following prior to completing the online contract: