Prior to moving out, you MUST receive approval by The Office Housing and Residence Life to cancel your License Agreement. The License Agreement serves as your housing contract and is for the academic year, which ends on Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 2 p.m.
Please review the terms and conditions of the License Agreement, which outlines the conditions for release that will be considered by Housing and Residence Life (reasons and financial responsibility).
- The agreement states that only those students who are graduating, withdrawing from Cal State LA, or getting married will be released from their contract with appropriate supporting documentation.
- All other reasons may be considered with appropriate supporting documentation and with proof of changes in circumstances from the time you completed the License Agreement and now.
- Review the terms and conditions of the License Agreement available online at http://www.calstatela.edu/housing/license-agreement-student-guide.
- Submit the Petition to Cancel Form to the housing office at least 30 days before the end of the semester. Petition to Cancel Forms were due on November 9, 2017, to meet the 30-day written notification requirement. Late requests may be submitted and the review of the request will occur under the less than 30-day notification policy and procedures.
I AM NOT APPROVED TO MOVE OUT
Moving out of the residence halls without approval does not release you from your License Agreement; you will continue to be financially responsible for all spring 2018 housing fees.
I AM APPROVED TO MOVE OUT
Students who have been approved to check out have been provided an official date and time of departure. Once you've received your official approval notification, you are ready to prepare for checkout. Please read through the closing procedures below to ensure a smooth process at the end of fall semester in an effort to avoid incurring additional charges.
Students not returning for the spring term will need to clean their apartments, remove all of belongings, and return all keys no later than 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 9. Key return will occur in Phase II, keys may be dropped off using the express checkout envelopes provided in the lobby. Complete the express checkout envelope, insert your keys and seal envelope, place envelope with keys in the Key Drop Box located outside the housing office. For assistance with the express checkout envelope, see the Mail Room staff between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 9.
Improper Checkouts: Students who check out after the official checkout deadline will have charges added to their Golden Eagle Territory (GET).
Please be aware that if you fail to clean your apartment or have unaddressed repairs and damage it may result in charges being applied to your GET account.
Please review the costs that may be applied to your account upon checkout:
- Standard Repairs and Replacement Costs
- Standard Cleaning Costs
Before Checking Out
- Pack your belongings prior to your intended checkout date and begin to take non-essential items home. Once you return the keys, you are no longer able to go back to the apartment even as a guest. Items left behind will be discarded and you will be charged.
- Clean your bedroom and shared spaces within the apartment. We encourage you to schedule a day with your roommates to clean the common areas.
- Remove all items from cabinets, drawers, closets, storage room, dishwasher and refrigerator.
- Students will be charged if any items or trash are left in the apartment. Do not assume your housemates will want your unwanted items or that they will throw out trash left behind. Housing and Residence Life will not be able to determine whose trash or belongings are left in the apartment and all residents may be charged.
- Change Your Address with Housing and Residence Life and on GET.
- Update your mailing address on Golden Eagle Territory (GET). The University uses the address listed on GET for any University mail, including refunds.
- DO NOT submit a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service. (The post office considers 5300 Paseo Rancho Castilla a business address, not an individual or residential address.)
- Check your mailbox one last time before turning in your keys.
- Complete the online Mail Forwarding Request Form. First-class mail will be forwarded for four weeks only. Packages cannot be forwarded; they will be returned to sender.
- Please make sure you have changed your address at least four weeks before you check out with your banks, credit cards, cell-phone company, subscriptions, Amazon accounts and employment payroll offices. Magazines and non-first class mail will not be forwarded.
When will my spring housing fees be removed?
Once we receive your keys, we verify that you have checked out properly by the deadline, returned your key(s), and do a damage and cleaning assessment. We then proceed to adjust your GET account. Your spring housing fees will be adjusted on your GET as stated on your cancellation approval letter that outlined your financial responsibility. If you adhered to all the check out requirements and didn’t have damage/cleaning/key replacement charges or outstanding balances, a refund of your $100 security deposit will be processed. Refunds will be either by check or direct deposit if you had previously signed up for direct deposit on GET. If you paid your security deposit using Flywire, then your refund will be issued through Flywire.