Why is this important?
Experiences such as shadowing, volunteering, and participating in campus/community events is not necessarily a requirement for all pre-health programs. However, it is a very critical component of your application packet. This is what sets you apart from the other qualified applicants who have also submitted an application packet. It also shows the admissions committee that you have done your research in terms of your career, and can make a commitment to pursuing the profession.
Clinical Volunteering Opportunities
- Cope Health Scholars Program: Practical hands-on experience for aspiring healthcare professionals
- Kaiser Permanente Volunteering Opportunities - Locations in Los Angeles that give you an opportunity to gain experience with direct patient care
- UCLA Care Extender Internship Program - Provides the opportunity for volunteers to experience health care from a clinical perspective through patient contact and volunteer involvement
LAC+USC Adult Volunteer Program - Requires a commitment of 200 hours of volunteer services where service is needed and be able to volunteer consistently and complete the program in one year or sooner. They do have GPA and other requirements for their programs, so make sure to review to see if this is a good fit
Internship and Summer Program Opportunities
- UCLA Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) - Residential Six Week Summer Enrichment Program (tuition, room and board, and meals paid for by the program) developed for freshmen and sophomore college students interested in pursuing a career in the medical field. It's a great opportunity, and applications are available starting November 1st, 2016. Even though the deadline is March 1st, admissions is on a rolling basis, so apply early to increase your chances of being selected at your preferred program site
- UCLA Pre-med/Pre-dental Enrichment Program (UCLA PREP) - Non Residential Six Week program designed to provide premedical and predental students from disadvantaged backgrounds with a means of strengthening their ability and readiness to study medicine or dentistry
- American Cancer Society - Join the fight to cure cancer! Flexible scheduling, learn new skills, and select from volunteer positions that match your interests.
- Coach Art - creates a transformative arts and athletics community for families impacted by childhood chronic illness.
Need Help Finding Organizations?
It can be overwhelming trying to narrow down experiences that might be a good fit! Try looking through sites such as Volunteer Match to help you see what it out there for you. There are plenty of organizations that depend on volunteers like you.
Please note: we are growing this page! Keep checking back for more opportunities and ways to gain experience.