All health professions schools value healthcare experience. There can be a big gap between ideas of what it’s like to be a practitioner and the reality of these professions. Clinical experience can bridge that gap. There are several options you can explore:
- Los Angeles Christian Health Center
- Cope Health Scholars
- Kaiser Volunteer Services
- Monterey Park Hospital Volunteer Program
- White Memorial Volunteer Program
- Alhambra Hospital Volunteer Program
- Volunteer in hospice care with Silverado or Vitas
- Explore Here for an expansive list of local and national opportunities.
- Pre Health Dreamers Internships
- Veterinary Volunteer Opportunities
- Dental Volunteer Experiences
- Naturopathic Medicine Providers
Working in the healthcare field is an excellent way gain experience and earn money while doing so! There are a variety of training programs to get certified as an emergency medical technician, phlebotomist, dialysis technician, medical assistant, pharmacy technician, respiratory therapist, and others. Investigate your local community colleges for program offerings
- Summer Health Professions Education Program
- UCLA PREP
- Summer Undergraduate Research
- NAAHP Summer Opportunity Directory
Health Professions schools want to ensure that you have seen, up close and in person, what practitioners do. Shadowing is a great way to explore your health career interest by watching a practitioner do what they do in their own context. This is distinct from volunteering in that your only task in shadowing is to observe practitioner-patient interactions.
To set up shadowing, there are a few approaches:
- Ask your personal physician or a physician you know if you could set up shadowing with them. If not, can they refer you to someone who may be open
- Work as a scribe or medical interpreter.
- Volunteer at a hospital or clinic and ask for opportunities after building relationships in that setting.
- Shadowing a Doctor - A Guide from AAMC
Pre-Health Conferences and Preview Days
- Keck Graduate Institute Visitation Days
- Mt. Sac Bi-Annual Health Professions Conference
- Western University of Health Sciences Preview Days
- Samuel Merritt University Preview Days
- CSU San Bernardino Pre-Med and Pre-Health Conference
- USC Keck School of Medicine Minority Health Conference
- UC Davis Annual Pre-Health Conference
- SoCal LGBTQ Health Conference