Frequently Asked Questions - General Questions

Can I make an appointment to have my international records evaluated?

The evaluation is only for admission purposes. We offer pre-admission advisement for students with international records. Prospective students may make an appointment to speak to a pre-admission advisor about the admissions process to the University. The appointments are available during regular business hours. To make an appointment, please call (323) 343-3819.

I live outside of the U.S. Is it possible to get pre-admission advisement?

Please contact us by email or by phone (323) 343-3819 during regular office hours.

What record of grades is required?

If you have attended any U.S. institution(s), you must make arrangements to have official transcripts sent directly to Cal State LA. Visit our website for mailing address.

If you have attended institutions outside the U.S., you must submit copies of post-secondary coursework completed academic records (transcripts) and copies of all diplomas or degree certificates awarded. Documents must be in English and in the original language. Certified English translations must be submitted in addition to the documents in the original language. Translations must be literal word-for word translations and should appear in a format similar to the original language document.

The required documents are to be sent directly to IERF for evaluation.

Copies of original international records submitted by an applicant to Cal State LA are not considered as official documents. These records will not be returned to you.

My overseas institution does not provide final year first term grades. Will I be considered for admission without these grades?

Final year first term grades must be received by the document deadline in order to be considered for admission.

Why is my original transcript not considered as an official transcript?

Official transcripts are sent directly from your institution to Cal State LA in a sealed envelope. Original transcripts are those that were issued to you and the envelope has been opened.

Can I translate my own academic records into English?

A translation must be done by a certified translation agency. Public notarized translation is unacceptable. Please click here for a list of the ATA certified translators.

I was admitted last year and I was not able to enroll. What should I do if I want to attend this year?

Each application is processed only for the term you applied. If you do not attend the term to which you apply, you must submit a new online application and pay the application processing fee again. Should you decide to reapply, please call us at (323)-343-3819 or email us at to prioritize the evaluation of your new application.

What is the document submission deadline?

This is the last postmarked date that all supporting documents for admission will be accepted. Please refer to the Document Checklist and the Deadlines webpage for details.

Is there a difference between the application filing deadline and the document submission deadline?

Yes. The document submission deadline always follows the application filing deadline. In general, the document submission deadline is the 10th business day following the admission application filing deadline.

What is a FERPA Waiver?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) protects the privacy of student education records. As an applicant, no one can inquire about your application status unless you authorize that person in writing using the FERPA Waiver. Once the FERPA Waiver is completed and signed by you, we will be able to release information and any documents to the person who you have authorized on the FERPA Waiver. To request a FERPA Waiver form, please send an email from the email on your GET to after you have received your CIN.

What is your mailing address?

Cal State LA
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
ATTN: Graduate Admissions
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032

Can I mail all of the documents for different offices in one package to your campus?

Yes. Please follow these steps:

  1. Sort out the documents as per the check list.
  2. Prepare the coversheets. Put each coversheet along with the documents into a plastic document sheet protector, face up.
  3. Tape/seal each sheet protectors to make it a packet.
  4. Put all the packets in a larger mailer envelope.
  5. Send to Cal State LA.

Mailing Address:

Cal State LA
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
ATTN: Graduate Admissions
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA  90032

                   English Proficiency          Admission Requirements

                  Application Status           California Residency