||School of Business and Economics
Department of Marketing
Office: ST 815
Author of 29 trade books published in 11 languages. Two won awards as a "Best Business Book of the Year" selection by the Library Journal (1985 and 1990.) Wrote 4 text books with ancillary materials. The textbook, The Practice of Marketing Management was adopted by more than 177 universities.
Wrote 12 articles published in academic journals including Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Marketing Management, Journal of Direct Marketing Research, Business Horizons and Marketing Educator, and 31 articles published in trade journals. Developed and made 8 audio tapes and 3 video tapes. Wrote and received funding for 22 grants. Made 31 presentations at academic conferences or meetings, most of which resulted in proceedings, publications and 100 other presentations.
Served as Department Chairman, Associate Chairman and Department Advisor of then 25 full and part time member department. Served as Institute Director of 2 institutesand on numerous departmental, school, and university committees, conference chair, discussants, and 9 editorial advisory boards. Served as associate editor for the Journal of Direct Marketing Research. Series Editor of the John Wiley Series on Business Strategy.
Winner of the prestigious Freedoms Foundation George Washington Honor Medal for Excellence in Economic Education. Outstanding Professor CSULA. CSULA Systemwide Outstanding Professor. Past President, West Point Society of Los Angeles. Biography in Who's Who in America and numerous others. Major General, U.S. Air Force, Retired.
STUDENT SUPERVISED AWARDS
1. Graduate Case of the Year, U.S. Small Business Administration, 1994 competing with 150 other Small Business Institute Cases in the Los Angeles area.
2. 1st and 2nd Place District Awards for Best Promotional Plan, Speciality Advertising Association of California, 1994
3. 1st Place, Best Promotional Plan, National Award, Promotional Products Association International, 1994 (24 universities and 90 entries.)
4. Case of the Year, including graduate and undergraduate awards, U.S. Small Business Administration: 1981, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1991
5. Regional and National Awards, "Best Consulting Case", U.S. Small Business Administration, 1984 competing against several hundred colleges and universities nationwide and 7200 case submissions.
6. Phillip-Morris Corporation 18th Annual Marketing/Communication Competition Third Place Award, 1987 (first and only year entered - this was the last year the competition was held.)
7. University of Miami Business Plan Competition, Honorable Mention Graduate Division, 1987
Helping to make students successful in their chosen fields of endeavor.
Current Research: "Combat Leadership Principles' Application to Business." "The Stuff of Heroes: The 8 Universal Laws of Leadership."
Representative Professional Activities
For complete list of my publications please click on Publications.
Ph.D. Executive Management 1979
MA Management 1977
MBA Research and Development Management 1967
BS Engineering 1959
For more resources on course topics please visit the Pi Sigma Epsilon website.
Return to the top.