- Postdoc in Food Chemistry, University of Kentucky, 2016
- Postdoc in Meat Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2014
- Ph.D. in Food Science, University of Kentucky, December 2012
- B.S. in Food Quality and Safety, China Agricultural University, June 2008
- FST 3200-01 Food Chemistry;
- FST 3200-02 Food Chemistry Laboratory;
- FST 3230-01 Food Analysis;
- FST 3230-02 Food Analysis Laboratory;
- FST 4210-01 Sensory Evaluation of Food Products;
- FST 4210-02 Sensory Evaluation of Food Products Laboratory;
- FST 4540-01 Special Topics in Food Science: Food Proteins;
- FST 4600 Animal Food Product Technology.
- Protein chemistry;
- Functional, structural, and proteomic studies of bioactive compounds;
- Flavor profiles of plant proteins;
- Quality and sensory attributes of processed meat products;
- Sensory Evaluation.
- 2009–present American Meat Science Association (AMSA)
- 2008–present Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- Zhao, J.; Boatright, W. L. Improving the Sensory Attributes of Rice Protein Isolates. ($149,998). Awarded by USDA-NIFA Agriculture and Food Research Initiative: Foundational Program. Project period: 6/1/2017–5/31/2019.
- Zhao, J. Influence of Non-Protein Ingredients on Protein Oxidation during Rice Protein Processing. ($12,720). Grant awarded by Southern California IFT Section. Project period: 7/1/2017–6/30/2018.
- Zhao, J. Characterization of Antioxidant Peptides of Plant Origin. ($5,000). Mini-grant awarded by California State University, Los Angeles, Research, Scholarship and Creative Activities Grant Program. Project period: 7/1/2017–6/30/2018.
- Zhao, J. Improving the Solubility and Functionalities of Rice Protein Isolates. Assigned time award funded by California State University, Los Angeles, Research, Scholarship and Creative Activities Grant Program. Project period: 7/1/2017–6/30/2018.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
Zhao, J.; Boatright, W. L. Static headspace analysis of odorants in commercial rice proteins. Food Chem. 2017, 221: 345-350.
Cao, Y.; Zhao, J.; Xiong, Y. L. Coomassie Brilliant Blue-binding: a simple and effective method for the determination of water-insoluble protein surface hydrophobicity. Anal. Methods. 2016, 8, 790−795. (Co-first author)
Zhao, J.; Xiong, Y. L. Interfacial peptide partitioning and undiminished antioxidative and emulsifying activity of oxidatively stressed soy protein hydrolysate in an O/W emulsion. LWT- Food Sci. Technol. 2015, 61, 322−329.
Zhao, J.; Xiong, Y. L.; McNear D. H. Changes in structural characteristics of antioxidative soy protein hydrolysates resulting from scavenging of hydroxyl radicals. J. Food Sci. 2013, 78, C152−C159.
Zhao, J.; Chen, J.; Zhu, H.; Xiong, Y. L. Modifications of the amino acid residues of antioxidant soy peptides by lipid peroxidation products malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal studied with mass spectrometry. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2012, 60, 9727−9736.
Zhao, J.; Xiong, Y. L. Nitrite-cured color and phosphate-mediated water-binding of pork muscle proteins as affected by calcium in the curing solution. J. Food Sci. 2012, 77, C811−C817.