Jianyu (Jane) Dong received the Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio in 2002. Her BS and MS degrees were received in Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Science from University of Science and Technology of China , Hefei, China in 1995 and 1998, respectively.
Dr. Dong's research areas include multimedia compression, communication, and computer networks. She has been involved in multiple interdisciplinary research projects. Recently, she is also engaged in a number of projects on engineering educational innovation and research, focusing on pedagogy and instructional design approach to create an engaging and inclusive learning experience for students on a multicultural campus.
First-in-the World Project: Engaging Students in STEM Gateway Courses using Flipped Classroom, collaborative project with SJSU and CalPoly Pomona
IMPACT LA NSF GK-12 Program
NSF CCLI Project: Tablet PC based PBL to Enhance Freshman Design Experience in Digital Engineering
NSF CCLI Project: Enhance Undergraduate Computer Networking Curriclum using Remote Project-based Learning
Selected Recent Publications
- with Pearl Chen and Anthony Hernandez, “Impact of Collaborative Project-based Learning on Self-efficacy of Urban Minority Students in Engineering,” Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching, & Research, April, 2015
- “3-D wavelet video streaming”, invited book chapter in Visual Communication and Networking, USTC Press, 2011
- With Anthony Hernandez, Pearl Chen, Christine Clemmons, “Addressing the Learning Needs of Minority Students in Engineering through Participatory Design,” in Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Conference, June 2016
- With J., Chen, P., & Hernandez, A. “Designing Effective Project-based Learning Experience using Participatory Design Approach,” in Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Conference, 2015.
- With Xuan Qin, and Pearl Chen, “Enhancing Collaborative Project-based Learning using Participatory Design Approach,” IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Madrid, Spain, Oct. 2014
- With N. Miao and Y. He, “Towards Efficient Digital Watermarking on Android Smartphones”, in Proc. of International Conference on Wireless Networking, Las Vegas, July 2012
- With M. Razfer, “Empirical Study of Mobility Effect on IEEE 802.11 MAC Protocol for Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks”, in Proc. of International Conference on Wireless Networking, Las Vegas, July 2011
- With N. Warter-Perez, “Improving Collaborative Project-based Learning in Digital Engineering Based on Program Assessment”, in Proc. of ASEE Annual Conference 2010
- With N. Warter-Perez, E. Kang, H. Guo, M. Castillo at el, “Strengthening the K-20 Engineering Pipeline for Underrepresented Minorities”, in Proc. of ASEE Annual Conference 2010
- With J. Peng, “Content-adaptive Quality Assessment for Image Signals”, in Proc. 14th International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, & Pattern Recognition, Las Vegas, July 2010
- With R. Maheshwari and N. Warter-Perez, “Hardware Implementation of Integer-to-Integer Discrete Wavelet Transform Using Haar Filter Based on Lifting Scheme”, in Proc. of 8th International Conference on Embedded Systems and Applications, Las Vegas, July 2010
- With N. Warter-Perez, “Collaborative Project-based Learning to Enhance the Freshman Digital Design Experience”, in Proc. of ASEE Annual Conference 2009
- With Narek Zohrabyan, “Content Adaptive Error Concealment for Packetized Zero-tree Wavelet Coded Images over Lossy Networks”, In Proc. International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Pattern Recognition, Las Vegas, July, 2009
- With C. Liu at el, “Synergetic Education and Research in Enabling NASA-Centered Academic Development of Engineers and Space Scientist”, in Proc. of ASEE Annual Conference, 2008
- With N. Warter-Perez, “Project-based Learning Using Tablet PCs: A Practice to Enhance Design Components in Engineering Instruction”, in Proc. of ASEE Annual Conference 2007
- With Y. F. Zheng, "Content-based retransmission for 3-D wavelet video streaming across lossy channels", IEEE Trans. On Circuits and Systems on Video Technology, Vol 16, Issue 9, pp 1125-1133, September 2006.
Honors and Other Activities
- Clare Boothe Luce (CBL) STEM Scholarship to participate in HERS Leadership Institute, 2016
- Distinguished Women Award, 2011
- IEEE Senior Member, ASEE member and campus representative
- Phi Kappa Phi, Tau Beta Pi